Books worth reading

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by welder/fitter, Jul 22, 2010.

1. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

I just finished reading "THE BRENDAN VOYAGE", by Tim Severin. I highly recommend it! In a nutshell, without giving too much away, Severin sets out to test a theory that St. Brendan sailed from Ireland in the 6th century, on an Irish curragh made of leather, ashwood & sheep fat, and used the North Atlantic route - Faroes, Iceland, Greenland - to discover North America, prior to The Norsemen. The construction of Severin's curragh is fascinating, as is the journey. Severin's a decent writer, making this a hard book to put down.
    Mike

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I have the Colin Mudie book, where he show the plan and the lines and explain the project as he was designing the boat for Tim severin. Some beautiful picture too.
    It is interresting also to read the genesis of the project and how Colin Mudie designed the vessel as in the 6 century but in 1977, following historical research.
    I never read the book by Tim Severin, thank you for mention it, I will buy it.
    Quite a beautiful 36' leather skinned vessel.
    6 Century, imagine?
    Daniel

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I recommend The Log of Christopher Columbus, translated by Robert H. Fuson.

4. welder/fitter

Yes, Daniel, a very interesting attempt to erase an historical question mark.

I'll have to read that, hoytedow.

Prior to The Brendan Voyage, I read several of Alan Villier's books, which are most enjoyable. I've read a few of Francis Chichester's books, but, while I respect his many accomplishments, didn't really enjoy his writing.

Robin Lee Graham's book, "Dove", was an entertaining read, as was Richard Henry Dana's "Two years before the mast". Despite having his theories countered, Thor Heyerdahl's accounts of his sea-going adventures are always a decent read, though some of his descriptions - as with Dana - can go on for a while.

Serge Testa's "500 Days", wherein, he sails the world on(mostly in) a 12 foot yacht is worth a read. Paul Theroux, imho, takes a bit of patience as he has a penchant for much philosophizing. Of course, there is always the Slocum classic, though I didn't enjoy it as much as others seem to.

My brother seems to be able to find these books, easily. He often sends or brings with him several at a time. "The Wizard of Bristol", a book about Nathanael Herreshoff, by Francis Herreshoff, was a very interesting read, recommended reading (by Tom MacNaughton) for YDS students. Unless I've missed it, I don't believe that anyone has written a compilation book on the accomplished yacht designers of the past hundred years. Yet, many of these same designers, perhaps all, have led fascinating lives.

Mike

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Naufragios By Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca is a great story if you can find it in English. Maybe you can read Spanish?

6. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Grey Seas Under...

Hello...

Anything by Farley Mowat...
    Wonder if he is stilled banned from travelling to the US because he shot his 12 guage at a US airforce fighter on training over his writing grounds...
    Always a good idea - silly man...

SH.

7. welder/fitter

Yeah, Mowat is great, very funny!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.