Drogue Line Length

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

How long should one have a drogue line ? I can see it it would be real fun if the drogue plucks out of the wave and suddenly shutes open to grip again, especially once you picked up a bit of speed :D

My drogue has a few 500mm shutes after one another. I've tested in a dam with my friend (tried to) pulling it behind his jet ski. I know the drogue works fine, the jet ski didn't get away, I just need to confirm the rope length.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

At a wild guess, having never had a need or desire to deploy one, 1.5 wave crests behind you or more... I would rather run in a direction away from the predicted path curve of the storm AND away from shore/reef/underwater obstructions... or, - - sail 'into', on the most comfortable tack, the passing front but particularly, away from lee shorelines etc done both there...

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Mas,
    I also have no desire or had the need to deploy one, but you never know. One may land in a situation where it can make life easier. If you cannot anchor for some reason then this has to be your anchor.

One thing I can imagine that would keep it below the surface would be to hang a weight like an anchor on it, could mean a shorter rope. The 1.5 wave length may not always be that certain distance, it's quite dark here at night I don't know in AU, but one may not always be able to see how far is what. It must work though.

Bntii,
    I already made the thing, I'm not buying another.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Why not put it on a winch that can adjust the length to suit as needed? Or just move the knot?

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Fanie
    >>>The 1.5 wave length may not always be that certain distance, it's quite dark here at night I don't know in AU, but one may not always be able to see how far is what. It must work though.<<<

Even when it is pitch black at night, you KNOW the wavelength, you must not measure.

Regards
    Richard

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Fanie,

Good question, I don't know the answer but I'm not sure it's that critical and may be dependant on sea state. I would think putting the line on a winch a good idea. How many chutes do you have in series? Even if one rises out of the water, it would still be full, no? It would return quickly so little would be lost in terms of function if I understand this correctly. Do you have any pictures of the chutes? Are they very cupped or quite flat?
    Where are you going on this epic venture you are preparing for?

Tom

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I could only test it on the fresh. The two chutes dug in immediately and never surfaced. In waves at sea however it may happen that they will pull out of a wave. This will depend on how fast the droge is pulled along and the height of the waves and your position and the drogue's in the waves.

You are going to need a winch, no two ways about it, and you will have to tie the rope before putting the drogue in the water :D You can trust me on this one ok, the test on the wet bike had the rope so taunt it felt like a steel rod. Didn't measure the pull with a loadcell but you can try to hold on to a big wet bike and keep it from going. I have to admit I was quite impressed.

Tom, sadly the way I feel right now I just want to get into a boat and fcuk off - anywhere - I dont care where.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, no need to add a weight to keep it in the water... You will never recover it if you do.... as it will be straight DOWN:D:D:D - - If you must deploy, tie a light line to the tail end so you can recover without the "drogues" opening:D:D:D

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Mas, I know about the reverse retreive method. I'm sure a winch will help regaining the drogue, unless it is something you need to get out of the water quickly.

I read the article when Richard Woods (of woods design :D) was on Elipse ? in a storm and he had problems with his drogue or lack of one. I am convinced it is a nice piece of equipment to have aboard, just in case.