This guy dont like boaters

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Well sooner or later we "boaters" were gonna be blamed for it ;)

global warming and population explosion is our fault :p

this guy is NOT a boat fan, jeez him and i will really get on well :p

oh well horses for courses

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-09-29-stop-blaming-the-poor-yachters-are-burning-planet

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

ooooohhh **** i forgot to add this

aaaahhh weelllll fark u 2

dont worry boys i will find out where he lives and go and **** on his doorstep :p

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Manie
    You have misread his article. It is not having a go at "boaters" but the wealthy who consume vast quantities of limited resources for their own selfish pursuits. A resource that took eons to produce and is disappearing in the blink of an eye.

You already see this sort of consumption becoming anti-social. In 10 to 20 years time we will see use of liquid hydrocarbons for pursuit of pleasure being regulated. It has to happen because I cannot see battery technology being developed fast enough to suit the needs of heavy road transport, rail and planes that we all need in a modern society.

Anyone contemplating long-term projects with high powered vessels for personal use need to live in an oil rich country.

It is worthwhile taking a look in a marina that is well endowed with large, high power vessels these days. Not many actually go anywhere. Their owners either cannot afford it or they can no longer find anyone to impress. These boats are dinosaurs and on the verge of extinction.

Operating fuel guzzling super yachts will be like smoking indoors. Just not acceptable for the common good.

Rick W

4. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

(emphasis mine)

I've been waiting while for this to happen, and have always had felt something like horror at the most inefficient mega gas guzzlers.

As you say they are dinosaurs.

Typically people after about the age of 25 are pretty much not going to change their fundamental attitudes, therefore societal shifts tend to change on a generational timescale. This in a world which is changing as fast as modern civilization, is problematic for an adequate response time towards new problems which arise.

Soon we'll see a whole lot of junked big motor boats as well as those idiotic SUV's and a bunch of other relics (jetski's etc) from the age of cheap oil.

Good riddance!

Back to sail, human power and very efficient power boats (for a while). As that is precisely my design interest it will be good for me. (Although there will be all the worldwide strife that comes with a down shifting of energy consumption to contend with, which i certainly don't expect to be a walk in the park)

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

When i posted this thread it was very much tongue in cheek, on the lighter side of life ;)

However talking about dinosaurs, in South Africa we got new laws last year that means that anybody operating a Jetski has to be licensed and i think at least 16? years old.
    That and the credit crunch has meant that zillions of Jetski's are up for sale. It has gotten so bad that folks dont even bother to advertise in our local Junkmail paper anymore. So bottom line is they are available dirt cheap and losing value by the day. Thank gawd for that, because i for one HATE frikken Jetski's or Wetbikes, the planet will be better without them

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

Had a moose jump out in front a friend's SUV the night before last. What a mess of mooseburger! Lost a family in their Corolla last year to the same thing. If all of the country goes to 2,500 lb. cars, I'll be sittin' tall and safe in my SUV! Suburbans and Expeditions are cheap right now...I think I'll get one of each and have moose/Corolla guards installed. Anybody for a barbeque?

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Besides, we need our SUV's to pull our boat trailers, unless someone can put a reese hitch on the back end of a moose.

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

I actually like the economical little vehicles, I love the idea of electric, etc.. I commute around town on a bike. A Prius is fine for an on-hwy commute when there is a divider between oncoming traffic. I wouldn't get in something small on a country road, tho. And I like the freedom to choose. I sure hope we keep producing enough rich guys to buy the big fuel-hog boats - they're the only ones that can hold jet-skis in their laz garage!
    Here's one for you; http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/05/50mph-electric-jetski.php But can you still harrass sea-life and throw spray on picknickers?

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Electric is kind of a dead dream to me, having been a drafter at Sebring Auto-Cycle back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It was interesting, though.

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

I amended my previous post after you just posted...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.