Upgrading a FAO Fishing Boat - First build

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Earl Westman, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Earl Westman

Earl Westman Junior Member

Yesterday I saw photos of the FAO fishing boats for the first time. As I have always wanted to build this boat first, (6.3 meters), I have decided to get to it.
    I do appreciate the auxiliary sail, and would like to emphasize this ability. Now a couple of questions:
    1) If I remove the rear rocker to increase the speed/planing, will it reduce its "sea worthiness"? Should I leave the design alone? I plan to do a lot of fishing from it. I already have a down rigger and a fish finder that I want to use.
    2) I would like to add extra frames to stiffen up the boat, and put an antique 18 hp Johnson on it (could turn into a 15 hp 4 stroke at some point). Does this sound sensible?
    3) Would the design benefit from small bilge keels to assist the sailing, or is it better to leave as is? I will likely make a simple sale rig for it, and plan to use the sails for pleasure and to cut down fuel costs.

Thanks everyone for your input.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

3. michael pierzga

4. michael pierzga

5. Earl Westman

Earl Westman Junior Member

Chesapeake Skiff with Sail Assist

This is an interesting looking plan. It just looks classy, and I think would make a comfortable ride.
    I don't think I should tackle a kite assist until I have learned to sail with a simple, ordinary sail. With the kite, do you go where you want to go, or where the kite decides to take you?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.