help with my floor..

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by shadowdriver76, Oct 3, 2011.

1. shadowdriver76

shadowdriver76 shadow

I have a problem and want to know the do's and don't. The hydrolic pump bracket for my power trim rotted out. Screws still in the floor. The steel turned to rusted shale flakes. The floor is soft from the engine compartment to about midship. The floor buckles when it is walked on and the fuel tank can be heard buckling too. It pops back up but its sitting on the fuel tank. Its a touring speed boat. No boom for sking and has a small cuddy. 20ft. I am taking the floor up over the winter. I however know that a problem can happen with this hobby. So any advice would be great. Not sure what is under and where I should start. I have watched videos on beam replacement and foaming the edges of my new floor. However its stuff like hardware choice. Brass or galvinized and what to watch out for. you guys have done this so tips would be great thanks

2. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Hi Shadow, welcome to the forum. Suggest you post some pics of your boats problem areas so we can see whats going on. You have kind of asked such a general set of questions that no one could even guess where you should start. There are some knowledgeable guys here that often jump in with good ideas for anyone thats prepared to listen.

Good luck

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The first thing he needs to do, is spend a night reading previous threads about similar issues. Sole replacement, transom replacement, stringers, etc.

4. JRD

JRD Senior Member

A night?? There would be a week of reading here just on transom replacements!

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Scanning through, should reveal the highlights and offer up enough additional questions, that he can apply to his project.

6. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

I have learnt that what you see is just the tip of the iceberg, a lot lies hidden and unseen.
    Post some pic's so we get a good look at what your up against.
    Good luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.