Man Hours on 75 ft Boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mikeskip, Jul 7, 2004.

1. mikeskip

mikeskip Junior Member

Hello,

Any ideas, how to calculate the man hours on a 75 ft. boat?

Is it 5000, 7500 or 15,000 Hours?

The mould exist and the Boat should have a simple layout(2 cabins incl. Toilet, Shower, big aft deck and reasonable engines(No MTU's) incl. Generator etc.) Cruising speed only 20 Kn.
    Any help would be highly appreciated and the Yacht will be manufactured in a proper Yard. :confused:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What you are asking for is a consulting job that would take about a week of labor.

3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Although I agree with Gonzo, I feel compelled to suggest that when you ask such questions, it would be useful to provide answers to questions such as, "what material are you planning to build with?", and "is this a yacht or a workboat?", and "what level of finish do you want?", and "how complicated is the outfit - i.e., AC/DC power plus shorepower in multiple voltages, air conditioning, multiple engines, instrumentation, etc., etc.?"

Without meaning to be nasty, yes, Gonzo & I and several others here on the forum know how to calculate manhours for a given project. That is one of the things that we get paid to know, and as Gonzo hinted at, there is not a simple answer.

4. mkeskip

mkeskip Guest

manhours on 75 ft Flybridge Yacht

Hello Guys,

sorry you are right...then it is planned as:

- Flybridge, built in Glassfibre
    - 2 Engine with conventional shafts (20 knots)
    - Generator and Air con
    - Min. 2 cabins +seperate crew cabin
    - for incentives or Party, up to 35/40 people at times
    - low budget
    - 'impressive...'

Don't know if it makes sense, but that is what I would have in mind.

Thank you for your time
    Mike

5. freeman

freeman New Member

Very hard to judge with that info, still no lay-up schedule,is there moulds for every part, how much has to be custom made, how much core material, is it balsa, ply, foam, etc.best thing to do would send someone a full set of plans. We are in the process of building a 57 ft power cat, the engines, gear boxes, shafts etc are well over $100,000, with a top speed of 25 knots. The designer estimates it will take around 20,000 man hours, but then again we have no moulds.I would have to take a guess ta mite and say between 10 and 15 000 hrs for a project your size, but thats just a guess, i only build them not price out the work,lol.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.