Boat Surveying

Discussion in 'Education' started by Guest, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I wonder if anybody can give me any information on how to to become a boat surveyor. I would like to learn from home and wondered if there was a course i could do. I am a G R P laminator and have worked on boats since school , would this stand me in good stead? Any info appreciated.

2. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Southampton Institute (UK) has a three year degree (Hons) Yacht Manufacturing and Surveying. Not very matemathical but lot of good kwowledge.

Terho

3. Raykenn

Raykenn Member

Surveyor training

Your work experience can be as valuable as other formal training. Depending on the areas you want to specialize in (Commercial, recreational, FRP, Steel, etc) I would recommend some short courses on related topics to supplement your hands-on experience.

Don't speread yourself too thin, master 2-3 disciplines and build your credibility. As time permits, expand your exposure to other disciplines. Nobody knows everything, and the majority of surveyors I have dealt with in the past who have claimed such, have turned out to be costly dissapointments.

Two organizations I am distantly familiar with are SAMS, which offers a variety of courses and connections and E-marine.com which offers training. I am not associated with either but have friends who from personal experience have had positive comments.

Some companies also have trainee programs. I am associated with Quality Control Marine Services (www.qualitycontrolmarineservices.com). They usually limit the number of new trainees they take on to one per year and they are selective, but it never hurts to have your name in the hat.

Good luck with your search, please feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Regards

RK

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

5. Raykenn

Raykenn Member

Thanks Duluth,

These are the same folks I was referring to but I did not have their proper web address. Just wanted to respond so that people did not waste time looking for E-Marine title I provided earlier.

Best regards

RK

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

US Surveyors has a correspondence course. It expects you to have knowledge of boats. It is not a primer.
    http://www.navsurvey.com/

7. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Anything similar course in Europe? We have our own EU directives to recreational boats.

Terho

8. Sketch

Sketch Junior Member

9. ?

I have benn in the boating industry,for years & have done some Surveys.
    but need to learn more.George Howell 5-16-04

10. Tom Ask

Tom Ask Junior Member

Marine Surveying

There are a number of schools available to help you learn marine surveying. An apprenticeship is highly recommended because surveying requires a lot of hands on experience. There are several books available also. Mine is very technical if you like that sort of thing and is an adjunct to published design standards as far as scantlings, line diameters etc. are concerned.

I gave a talk at the New York Harbor School last week and they may be adding a marine surveying component to their program. Chapman's program is aroung $4000, I think.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004

11. dlynch

dlynch Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.