Challeng-treasure-or-trash?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by tom kane, Jul 12, 2009.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have been looking at this old oil engine from before 1900 in the local harbour and have often wondered if it would be a worthwhile hobby cleaning it up to maybe even run.As it probably is cast iron and when you scratch the sea rubbish of it looks in good condition.There is a history to it and the boat it is from is known??? Any instructive comments.

Attached Files:

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I would,---although I cant make too much out from your photography.

Although I dont share you optimism of it being in good condition.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Challenge-treasue-or-trash

The first problem is that as soon as someone notices that the motor has gone they will tell the local Historical group who will for certain tell the police.
    So there will have to be negotiations which will take forever.If it was a simple case of removal I would have removed it long ago. The fly wheel and shaft could be turned and the case and head seem sound. It has been pickled in salt water.Cast iron does not rust like steel..It would have to be boiled for a while to remove salt.I think restoration would be easier than trying to cast a new motor.There are many accessories arould if they could be rounded up.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

is it lying on the beach under the tide?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In all honesty it's not worth the trouble unless you've identified it and it has some significance. Go find a well worn out make and break and have fun fabricating parts for it.

6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

This motor is from a Historical boat of the area and spends most of it`s time covered by the sea.You would find it difficult to find a similar motor anywhere.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Then I would take it.

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

As I say the biggest problem is a people problem,Removing it without consultation now would be unwise and cause all sorts of strife,probable more than work on the motor.I did set up my cabin boat with a lifting device one time on a big tide but had a few problems.I took my alliminiun boat to it in a rising tide intending to lift the motor in and wait for the tide to rise but that did not work out either.The best idea now is to seek the aid of several of my friends (already eager for a bit of covert work) and carry it to the nearest road and make of,hopefully with out being noticed.Pretty difficult.The local council had a recent beach clean up and I was afraid it would go for scrap but it remained where it lay.Vehicles a prohibited on the foreshore there and is heavily enforced.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.