? Who built this wood speed boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Perseverellc, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Perseverellc

Perseverellc New Member

I'm trying to find out who built this boat
    Can anyone help or have any ideas all I got was a p interest pic......
    It's an amazing looking boat any information would be greatly appreciated. ....... thanks 5e2b7d59332bbc82211e995198bb7f9f.jpg

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That looks like either a Minett-Shield or a Greavette model from 1920's-1930's. Both were Canadian companies on Great Lakes and that's pretty much all I can recall right now. Should make a quick library research when I get back home, perhaps I can dig some more data.

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Very impressive.

According to this: http://www.morinboats.com/Morin_Boats/Sold/Pages/18_Minnet_Shields_-_"Alzed".html

... it's an 18' Minett-Shield, the one at the link from 1933

And she's drool worthy.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Well done Daiquiri [​IMG]

Yes, but must say the aft end looks even more special than the front . . . :)

Minett Shields 18 foot Gentleman's racer

Attached Files:

5. peggyt

peggyt New Member

I had to join this site just to provide information to this question. I am surprised you did not ask for my grandmother's maiden name. Now that I am here, the following is copied from and article about this boat. The area known as Muskoka in Ontario, Canada is where these lovely old boats were created. I grew up in Bracebridge so know the area well.

“It's not very often you see a boat with this kind of history.” The boat was originally known as Radio II and was made in 1934 by legendary Canadian boat builder BertMinett at the Minett-Shields boat shop in Bracebridge. ... Together, the pair formed Minett- Shields in 1925.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.