helm on the starboard or the port side?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by RMP, Mar 28, 2003.

?

The helm should be on the

1. Starboard Side

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Port Side

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Neither - it should be in the center

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. RMP

RMP New Member

European and more and more American boats seem to be placing the helm on the port side rather than the traditional starboard side - why is this?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Some reasons for the helm to be on the starboard side:

1.) On smaller powerboats, putting the helm on the starboard side means the weight of the captain will counteract the torque of the propeller

2.) Putting the helm on the starboard side maximizes visibility in right-of-way situations

3.) On small boats, placing the helm on the starboard side allows the controls to be safely out of the way (most people are right-handed).

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Are there any regulations covering helm placement?

4. Mike D

Mike D Senior Member

guest's first message is very valid and informative.

Better line-of-sight etc with a starboard helm is not coincidental. The earliest sailing boats in Britain did not have rudders, they used a large steering oar that was called a board in the old Norsk language. This device was on the right hand side looking forward. The term steering-board side was a bit of a mouthful and became starboard.

When the boat docked the board would be damaged if it was moored starboard side to. On the other side there was a sort of a ramp that was fitted between the boat and the quay. It was used for access to and from the boat and goods were carried on-board before derricks were used. The ramp was, in effect, a loading board so that side of the boat became to be the larboard side.

As boats got bigger it became more difficult to differentiate between the two terms when the weather was bad so the word port was ordered to be used in Britain around 1840(?). It was chosen simply because that side of the boat/ship was the side against the quay or the port.

By this time, of course, the steering-board had been replaced by a rudder and the rules-of-road were under development.

If you ever forget which side is which and what colour it is just remember the Captain who drank too much wine from Portugal, Oporto which is better known as Port in English. Anyway, he asked the steward if there was any red port left.

Michael

5. trouty

trouty Guest

Aside

from all the valid points already posted here theres another to consider.

Rules of the road.

As in driving vehicles on the highway.

In MOST countrys of the world eg USA - the road rules are very 'similar' to the boating right of way rules, what with vehicles being left hand drive, & keeping to the starboard (RH) side of the road being the same as for vessels in channels etc.

i.e. for a vast majority of the worlds inhabitants in LH drive vehicles, their natural "reaction" to an approaching vessel is to swerve to the right, which in 'marine rules of the road' is the correct thing to do.

Where the confusion arises is - in having a RH (Starboard) helmed vessel for these poor left hand drivers, who are conditioned to stay to the right!

It would be a LOT more natural for Nations with left hand drive vehicles to so helm their vessels to port so that occupants react naturally the way they would on the road in an emergency situation.

Where the argument falls down of course is when in upside down land where we have RH drive vehicles, and keep the the LEFT of the road.

When in a boat our Natural instinct upon seeing an approaching vessel is to keep left (to Port) while the international nav rules require in fact that we do keep to starboard (right).

This alone is hard enough an natural instinct instinct for us to overcome when in a vessel, without confusing the issue more and putting the helm on the "wrong siode of the boat for us" i.e. Port - you see we are used to RH drive vehicles, and keeping to the left.

I contend to you all that for us downunder - we should helm boats to starboard, just like our vehicles AND that way we ONLY have to overcome the confusion of holding hard to starboard (right) rather than the second confusion of being seated on the wrong (port) side of the vessel compared to our vehicles.

Put an Aussie in a Port helmed vessel, and expect him to obey International nav rules of right of way is to ASK for trouble...

You see Aussie men can't do two things at once - it's a well proven scientific fact - which my dear wife (Mrs T or more often the recipient of the appelation "She who mistakenly thinks she wears the pants") ASSURES me this well known scientifically proven fact is the reason I will NEVER die in my sleep. :rolleyes: :p

So there you have it Port helmed for the Yanks and Starboard helmed for us handicapped Aussies!

Nothing like an each way bet! :D ;)

Cheers!

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I much prefer the helm to be on the side the vessel will normally be docking.

This is determined by the prop rotation.

With the helm near the dock its far easier to judge the distances , and do a fine job.

Also the vessel operator can assist at times , if its close enough t.

FAST FRED

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Steering used to be in either side. Look for example at Chris Crafts. I think that as more boats are bought by people who learned to drive before operating a vessel, putting the steering on the starboard side seemx like an odd choice. Of course, ships have central steering in the center; sometimes with remote stations. Controls can be top mounted which makes it indifferent of location. Also, center console boats are becoming more popular. They are the same size as the boats with offset steering.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Paddlewheelers don't need counteracting for torque.

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

as the paddle wheel has a tendency to raise the front of the boat the helm should be forward of the paddle wheel to counteract its torque

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

On small boats putting helm in center is dryer....

11. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I like my helm on the starboard side, don't know why just do. My starboard side is my preferred work side and the side (when ever possible) I like to approach piers or other vessels etc. so that might have something to do with it as well...

12. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

To answer that very old post by an aussie about keeping to the starboard side and pass an oncoming boat on his port side, in my experience boats in Sydney, be it on the Harbour, the Parramatta river or the Haweksbury ignore the rule and drive as if they would their car and stay on their port side and try to pass on the other boat's starboard most of the time. Very frustrating.

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

As far as I know no one regulates where the steering is. The big concern is control of the boat and visibility from the helm. ABYC specifies just about everything for steering, even the strength of steering wheels. But no one seems to care where you put it, so long as you have good all around visibility.

In the fifties there were a lot of boats that had them on the port side, but the starboard side seems to have become the norm. But on large vessels, much above 30 feet or so. they seem to be amidships.

The starboard side on small boats does provide better visibility of boats approaching from your right, but it seems no one steers sitting down anyway. So I suppose it doesn't really matter

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

On the middle.
    When the vessel is large, in the middle with wing stations.

Daniel

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

In the middle on small boats,
    at the centerline on bigger boats,
    amidships on big vessels!

As a rule of thumb.................

If you have to leave that rule, starboard is the choice of any pro! The reasons have been mentioned.

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.