Rolled gunnel...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gaspergoo, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Gaspergoo

Gaspergoo Junior Member

I am new to the boat design world, but not to fiberglass work. I am in the process of designing a smaller bay boat ( 18ft) and would like to incorporate a rolled gunnel. I am having a hard time figuring out how large manufacturers such as Kenner, Blue Wave, etc get this organic shaped hull. I am thinking they may be using computer software and cnc machines with multiple axi. Is there anyway to do this by hand? There has to be a way it was done before...I have stretched fabric over a frame before for some things that was then coated in resin/glass, but obviously this needs to have a certain degree of exactness. I could also shave foam down but again it needs to be mirrored. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
    Travis

2. Gaspergoo

Gaspergoo Junior Member

Anyone? Is a foam core my only option/

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I read your post earlier and was confused. I said to myself, a rolled gunwale would be a topside curving into a deck without interruption. I had always assumed those shapes were simply the result of two half-hull molds incorporating a deck section, where the halves would come together along some upper seam other than the sheer. It is also possible to bolt two hull molds together if the boat is large enough, and built it all in one piece.
    I must be misunderstanding your question, since you mention CNC.
    Maybe someone else knows what you mean, or you could restate the question in another way.

Alan

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I am thinking they use a mold. They might have used "computer software and cnc machines with multiple axi" to help create the mold but not to build the boat. Perhaps you could post a photo of what you want to copy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.