Boat Registration.Opinions needed.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by tom kane, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Not required in New Zealand..yet..Local government is asking.Would you support private boat Registration.

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Here in Tassie, powerboats with more than 4hp or capable of more than 10 knots (I think) have been required to hold registration for many years. I've never regarded it as a problem. In fact a couple of years back, the cost was increased from something like $15 to $50 - but all the funds generated have gone back into improving boating facilities.
    Also on the up-side, it means that if some ***** does something illegal, like running through a marina at 15 knots, than you at least have something to identify them by (The big letters on the side saying "POLICE" can also be a giveaway... ;) !).
    My only gripe with registration here is that sailboats are not required to have it - but then I guess they don't use any of the facilities do they...... :mad:

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

boat registration.Opinions needed

Thanks Will just what I need.tom kane.

4. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Will,

Sailboats with more than 4 hp....do. Those without are generally of the off the beach type...

5. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Where I live in Minnesota, USA, they have a license for almost everything. They all start as a public safety issue. How could anyone be against public safety? Right now I have 5 boats only one has a motor on it. The rest are canoes or kayaks. I can use only one at a time, but I have separate licenses for each one. Some of my boats only see the water a few hours a year. What I would like is a license to be on the water no mater what boat I’m in. Whenever this is purposed you quickly see that it is not a public safety issue but a revenue issue.

Gary :(

6. Willallison

Brett, a quick call thru to Marine & Safety Tasmania proves that you are correct - things must have changed when they brought in the new pricing etc......this leads me to believe that there are a LOT of unregistered boats running around down here.....

7. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Will,
    Now you have one less thing to yell at sailors about...:)

8. Willallison

On the contrary - now instead of "get-a-motor!!" I can scream "Where's-ya-rego-freeloader!!" :D :D

Gary - youch! Having to register a kayak seems more than just a little unreasonable......

9. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Either way, we probably wont be listening...

Freeloader? None I the boats I reguarly use require registration. I still pay more in fees to use ramps etc than most of the locals in their runabouts ever will since I have yacht club memberships etc. The best bit is the distinct lack of jet skis at the waters edge :)

10. Willallison

Now that I most certainly do agree with! :)