Good day all from the frosen shores of Canada!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by celticracing, Jan 24, 2012.

1. celticracing

celticracing New Member

New guy just saying hello and making my introduction's. Been hanging around for years just reading, but thought it was time to join. Like all up here, just waiting for the lakes to thaw and the camp fire to crackle. Have a great day!

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Welcome!
    It's 34C at 7pm here.
    The average of Canada and Australia would be perfect at this time of year. :)

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Shiver me Timbers...........................................

4. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum celticracing!

Did you build your Stiletto?

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Too cold - put more clothes on.

Too hot - you can only take so much off, even if you move to a place that doesn't require clothes.

I'll take cold winters and mild summers over somewhere with hot summers.

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

110% in agreement.

I love temps up to about 22C... after that my misery begins.
    Although when I'm on or near the water I can take hotter air temps,and even hotter if in a cabana and sipping cold and fruity boozy drinks...with a pool or ocean nearby.

7. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Anyone into ice boats?

8. celticracing

celticracing New Member

I did build my Stilletto, and I never thought building a boat would try every emotion I had!

9. celticracing

celticracing New Member

It would be a nive average! Been nice and mild here so far, but the blast is coming yet. These next two months are always our worst.

10. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

G'day 'C-race' - 'W-V-H' & the rest of "you's guy's" can have the cold however it's all relative to your personal needs. My needs are - I'll leave all my relatives in The cold & I'll stay right here. Do live - where clothes are very optional. It's 28 to 34* C (& that's above zero guys) to-day & we've had 100ml of warm rain. To each there own of course.

Do you have 'ice skates' for your Stilletto? That might be a whole lot of fun?

My Uncle & I used to 'ice-skate' from Kingston to Toronto in his sailing ice boat back in the mid 50's. WOW what a blast that was. Some 65 years later I'm still into sailing & spent my whole life building them.

Enjoy your cold - oh & you can enjoy my share as well. Ciao, james

11. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

:)

Excellent. Glad you found the site.
    And if you ever have a free moment and are so inclined, please post a few photos.

Be careful though, in no time at all, the people around here will start talking you into building the next one ;)

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ditto that and welcome, celticracing.

13. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I had a DN ice boat for three winters when I lived in Calgary Alberta Canada.

The most amazing thing about it (besides the absurd speeds attainable) was the acceleration, neck snapping!

-Tom

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I love speed as much as the next guy,had raced snowmobiles,taken open wheel driver's courses,had fast cars etc and am very hard to scare.
    That is until my crazy cousin in Manitoba took me out onto the lake with his huge ice boat.

We were still accelerating quite hard at 110mph and thats when the gps screen froze up due to wind chill being stupidly low,he figured we topped 120 or so.

Of and BTW Silver I circumnavigated AUS last year via land,and had lived on the East coast before.
    With all your deadly snakes,poisonous spiders,crocodiles,sharks,jellyfish, deadly cone shells,bugs/cockroaches all over and skin cancer-I'll take dealing with a bear or cougar over those any day!!
    I likely was in your town...

15. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

"Bities" big & small !!!

G'day W-V-H. When I stop laughing - I'll be able to type much's betterer, hay. Can well remember growing up with bear & several cougar who used to come down into our back yard (West Dean Cresc) when I was growing up.

My Uncle, who owned the 'ice-works' in Kingston, Ont was noted for his fast 'i-b's'. I wasn't game to mention how long it took us to sail from Kingston to Toronto cause I thought everyone would - give me heaps. But yes - you are so correct - they are terrifyingly fast. K to T in a Sat morn - lunch & then back to K. Not really a big deal to him - but I was very quiet until Wed.

Darn shame we hadn't met before your Ozie trip. We live just inland from Cairns in Far North Queensland on a 15 acre rural rainforest property. I breed tropical parrots for a hobby. When the property finally sells - I'm off to go back sailing full time. Trying to get a tri in the Philippines. Light, quick, fast.

I'd almost forgotten how many 'lill-critters' we have out here. Moved to OZ-land in '61 from West Van - where I went to school & my mother lived & my big sis & hubby still live.

I did remember about - dem-lill-critters - this mornign 'though - before I read your comments in here. At 0200 hrs - pouring rain as it can do in the tropics (like 250 mls in 4 hrs last nite) - heard my parrots yelling - got up - put on gloves & some leathers, shoes & a hat - - lights on + torch in hand - - here's this - lill snakey-thing - trying to get into one of my parrots cages. Small bother - he was an Amethystine Python (which we get lots of) however when one is not really wide-awake - catching a 6 mtr snake does tend to get you - very wide awake quickly, for sure. Snake's OK & I'll take him for a 50 k drive when it stops raining.

Great to make your acquaintance - sorry we hadn't met sooner - hope I can sail to the Puget Sound - one day in the near future. Grew-up sailing there - very pretty cruising grounds. Ciao, james

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.