Boat prices in Australia taking a tumble

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sabahcat, Feb 5, 2012.

1. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Over there your wages and costs are considerably lower than here.
    Wages here are still $30 to $40 an hour for semi skilled monkeys working for cash.

I had a quote from an electrician of $70/hour for a month ($11,500 a mth) for the wiring alone, so obviously the vessel would be horribly overcapitalised at that rate of pay.

I have done that with my income producing assets, the boat is not one of them

Surely with your wifes several years of wages and you working a paying job elsewhere you could have just bought one for less?
    40 ft plus sailing cats are $200k or less in the US I thought

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Responses in green...

3. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

And if I could get my monkeys back for those rates I would be full steam ahead as well ;).

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yah...best to look for retired guys. I use a Local retired marine engineer for 100 euro per day. He knows his way around metal , machinery and craftsmanship

5. Rhodes81

Rhodes81 New Member

Sounds like a nice solution: quality work and no dealers.

Avi player

6. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

so you would like to see all the workers on third world wages so the rich have a cheap source of labour. we enjoy a good lifestyle in australia but there are many business men that would like to lower our living standards for their own gain. the fact that you consider your workers monkeys shows your attitude. all the aussies that worked in servos around here have been sacked and replaced by indians working for way below award wages. you can come and work for me for $8 an hour if you want to see what its like. sorry if i sound offensive but workers getting ripped off really irritates me.

1 person likes this.
  7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hey Brendan, don't be sorry for representing workers. All the best from Jeff.

8. whitepointer23

thanks jeff.

9. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

I would like to see Australia competitive on a world market and we obviously arent at the moment.
    Why else do you think so many businesses are going broke and or shifting operations overseas?
    Maritimo eyes USA as production base

I'll give you a hint, Wages here (amongst other things) are to friggen high.

at what expense?
    I would think keeping jobs in this country WOULD be of benefit to you, but you keep insisting on high rates of pay.
    Naturally businessmen wanting to stay in business will keep sending the work offshore so as to remain competitive with the rest of the world.
    if they dont, they go broke and ALL the workers lose their jobs
    This has happened repeatedly and will continue to happen until...
    Yawn.

The guys I need must have the ability to count to 5 and the ability to pull the trigger on a sander and move their arms around, hardly rocket science, but it is work a trained monkey could do.
    And it certainly isn't $30+ an hours worth

Have you evidence that they are getting paid BELOW award?
    This is illegal.
    Probably more likely is Australians feel work like this is beneath them for the low rate of pay that the award provides

Lucky we have other diligent workers available to pick up the slack.

Been there done that, I have worked through two recessions before and was happy to accept crap wages just to put food on the table and pay the bills

And the nation getting ripped off by unsustainable wages really irritates me.

Think about it, if the mining boom wasnt paying $100k for bloody truck drivers and $200k for CUB's fresh from school* and everyone else wasnt forced to pay high wages to keep workers from leaving for the higher wages, how much do you thing average joe would be earning then?

*Cashed up bogan earns $200,000 a year in the mines

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

What you say is true. Australians are overpriced. Every season They swarm into the Mediterranean marine industry with backpacks and demand big money for a days work. Kids demanding 25 euro an hour for boat washdown . Perhaps kids make that kind of money in Australia ?

11. whitepointer23

you make some valid points, the high dollar is a big issue shutting business. mining is over the top, i worked on mines for over ten years and i never got the sort of money they are getting at the moment. i can't prove what united are paying servo attendants apart from one saying he was on $9 p/hour. the aussies that had these jobs before were devestated when were sacked, they enjoyed the work. i drive trucks 4 nights a week and work in my own franchise business during the day. if our wages drop to the level you would like i would be better off on the doll. for our family of 4 we spend $300 per week on food, 200 on fuel, 260 on rent. there's $760 a week without adding up all the other stuff we need to survive. so how could i work for 3 or 400 dollars a week. it is not possible.

12. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

It's insane Michael
    when I stopped work as a boatbuilder, before the resources boom started 10 short years ago, $10 an hour for unskilled and $14 for skilled was around the going rate.

Now, prices have tripled.

Australians are at some stage due for a god almighty smackdown, wages will plummet like they have in the US, they must.

I honestly thought it would have happened a couple of years back and I would have had people clambering to work for more reasonable rates.

Soon Michael, soon.

Mwahaha, Mwahahaha, Mwahahahaahhaha (probably shouldn't have the evil laugh, but couldn't help myself.)

13. whitepointer23

micheal what does food and rent cost in spain. to compare different economys you need to know the cost of living . a friend just come home from the us, he paid 85 cents a liter for petrol, we pay $1. 46 . a carton of beer was $ 16 compared to $ 40 in aus.

14. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Oh but it is, you just need to see the massive job loss overseas, people de-leveraging and downsizing rapidly, assets getting smashed in price to realise that it is entirely possible.

Not pretty, but I do believe its necessary.

Look at this chart of youth unemployment across Europe and tell me again how it cant happen?

[​IMG]
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/europes-scariest-chart

15. whitepointer23

saba. you forget a large part of these wages is super which seems to down instead of up every year. 9 % is a huge cost that seem to benefit anyone that i know anyway. then theres compo, liability, all the safety crap.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.