So very very cheap for a 62 footer...Why?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sabahcat, Feb 5, 2012.

1. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Check up what that will cost to park, I see the owner has his own park space.

But yes its cheap.

4. Mr Efficiency

The head on view of the thing suggests it might hit pretty hard running into a decent sea. Plenty of scope to "choke" on it.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

First off, I highly doubt the top speed of the boat, I would guess its more like 15kn. The boat is pretty light on installed HP for a boat of it's size, though I would like to see the displacement on it. And I am not thrilled with the layout, since there is o where to control the boat that I see except from the fly bridge which is fully enclosed.

All in all though it looks like a pretty good deal.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

7. Mr Efficiency

It sure does trim by the stern, an unusual design that I am struggling to understand the reasons for designing it that way. A sort of gull wing toward the bow area that flattens right out aft, from what is visible. Trims as if it is too heavy.

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That's why tenders usually specify "proven hull shapes". You make a stuff like this one thinking that you've made a quantum leap in ship design. But then you discover that the building costs were twice that of a common boat of the same length, maintenance and marina costs are much more than you've accounted for, and the fuel consumption is not at all what it looked like on the paper (or computer screen). And the day you have to sell it, you will have to ask a bargain price which will barely cover the building costs of the hull plus engines.

Check all of the above before buying it, and also the structural condition of the ship (corrosion, cracks). Hire a surveyor, will cost something but might save you from a heart attack after you discover you've perhaps thrown away $396.000 .

Cheers

9. groper

groper Senior Member

very inefficient boat... 9 kts needs 40litres/hour... thats crap...

The hull, has a very high surface area for its displacement due to its complex shape. This mean lots more viscous drag compared to a normal hull shape. This hull shape, is actually a planing hull... a poor attempt at one anyway, it seems the designer got confused... the engines are actually undersize for it to properly get up on the plane, and the hull is inefficient in displacement mode... what a dog...

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Sheltered waters, then back to the berth for a vomit, shower and BBQ ashore? A really mixed up and totally confusing design? What is the size of those cats?

Almost as confusing as a "mono-cat" I saw for sale a while ago...

11. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Like those crazy Bob Oram things?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Frankly, the only thing I see in common between the hull of the boat in the OP and Bob Oram's tri designs is the tri-hull configuration. All the rest appears fundamentaly different.
    Compare these two pics (left - boat from the OP; right - Bob Oram's design) and you'll get one of the (probably several) reasons for the high bow-up trim of the former one:

Tri comparison.jpg

Cheers

13. groper

groper Senior Member

Indeed, the oram design has the tunnels clear of the water, so its a real trimaran and has long narrow displacement hulls...

the dog for sale, is a multi chined monohull... trims bow up trying to get over its own bow wave, its not a multihull.

The engines in the dog were twin 435hp CAT diesels btw...

14. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Yes, I do realise that
    I just found it amusing that Mas seemed confused by the "concept" when the designer of his own vessel does "similar".

15. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

I agree

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.