water in the bilge

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Serinity, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Serinity

Serinity New Member

I have a1991 Hunter 37.5 which I just purchased. In survery there wasn't any water in the bilge. Now after living aboard for 3 weeks there is a small amount of water which I cleaned out last night only to find it reappearing today. It's doesn't appear to be coming for forward or aft just in the center around the large bolts which proturde up through the hull. Does anyone know where it may be coming from?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Spray talcum (baby) powder on the sides of the bilge and if it is coming form above you will se the trails. Living aboard causes a lot of condensation. It may just be that.

1 person likes this.
  3. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

A surveyor suggested to me using dry erase markers to see where the water is coming from. I thought it was a great idea.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Make sure the ice box isn't draining into the bilge---- some do. Pour some Kool Ade or something down the drain hole at the bottom of the box.

5. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Leaks

I have found the koolaid works better than the dry erase. Make a small trail around the top of the bildge.

If you have a keel stepped mast some rain will wick it's way down the mast with every rain shower. Comes in around the sheaves and other halyard holes in the mast.

Don't forget to check your prop stuffing. If you moved the boat after it sat for a long period it might require tightening.

Was it in the water when you purchased it? If it was on the hard, then perhaps you have a small leak where the keel attaches, those are the big bolts you see. Doubtfull though, a good surveyor would have found that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010

6. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Does your fresh water pump cycle even though you are not using the water? If yes you have a leak somewhere on the pressure side of the fresh water system. Also check the supply side, a leaking inspection port or loose connection will also supply a trickle of water to the bilge

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.