10' Peterborough?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by RockLaker, Apr 22, 2006.

1. RockLaker

RockLaker Previous Member

Hello,

I ended up buying another boat this morning. It looks the exact same as my other yellow boat and I'm still trying to find more info on them. The guy who I bought this red one off of said it's a Peterborough, but that's all he knew. The motor is a 1963 Evinrude 28 Speeditwin, which runs like a Deere. Yes, go ahead and laugh at the gaudy upholtered helm. It's ridiculous, I know, but I only paid $400 for the package, trailer included, so I can't complain.

So, is the boat a Peterborough? If so, how old is it? Any info at all would be appreciated.

2. RockLaker

As a reminder, here's the other yellow one I have that I was referring to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I don't think I've seen the design before... it does have some Peterborough styling cues, but their styling was much copied and I'm not too familiar with that era.
    The red one has a QQQ.... construction #, meaning that is a single-vessel plate which was issued for it fairly recently; it probably didn't have a capacity plate to start with. Is there an alphanumeric code stamped somewhere near the starboard corner of the transom, either inside or out?

4. RockLaker

I looked but never found any other plates. It came to me now that you mentioned it, that the yellow one has a plate on the inside of the port gunwhale, but the one on the red boat (if it has one) would be covered up with that glued on padding.

The yellow one has a plate that says it's an Alcan. Could both Peterborough and Alcan have manufactured the same boat? And also, I guess Peterborough boats are long gone, right?

Here's a pic of the yellow one's plate.
    It reads: No. - 243122
    Builder - Produits Alcan
    Model - FV-7-106-1

[​IMG]

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

On the red boat. the plate is a Canadian Conformity plate issued by the Canadian Coast Guard in 2002. THe first three letters of the Hull Identification Number, QQQ, indicate the Coast Guard and the last two are the year. Generally that means the manufacturer is unknown. Look on the transom, upper right corner when standing behind the boat and see if there is a 12 digit number in the glass. If it's ALCAN it will start with ZCB, but if the boat was built before the 70's there won't be anything there.

On the yellow one that is the original plate for this boat also issued by the Coast Guard but al long time ago. Peterborough's manufacturer's Id code was ZHW. Look on the transom for an HIN.

First ALCAN. They went out of business in 1985. They were at 725 ST Henri, Princeville QC.

Peterborough went into business in 1983, and was at the same address. I'm not sure when they went out of business. The database says 1996 but that's probably when we discovered they were gone. Manufacturers often don't inform the COast Guard when they go out of business. THis doesn't necessarily mean they are related but it certainly can mean it. Sometimes independent manufacturers are at the same address but in this case they probably were related. Unfotunately the fellow who worked for the Canadian Coast Guard, who did this for 30 some years has retired and there has been a complete turnover in personnel twicw or three times in their Boating Saqfety Office so there isn't any corporate memory there.

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I found thhis on a site about Princecraft.

1954 – The dream is born. Aluminum proves to be a better material to craft boats and Princecraft is founded in Princeville, Quebec, Canada. The original name of the manufacturing company is called Aluminum Boats and Canoes.

1973 – Sensing a growing market for boats, Aluminum Company of Canada (ALCAN) purchases Aluminum Boats and Canoes. ALCAN merges the acquisition with another of their aluminum boat manufacturers called Springbok.

1985 – Princecraft’s fish boat customers identify an opportunity for our high standard of quality in the fun pontoon category. After making sure we can manufacture pontoons of the same high quality and comfort, Princecraft pontoon boats are introduced to the aluminum boat family.

7. America187

America187 Junior Member

Peterborough boat

Hey RockLaker: I've seen these boats referred to as "Jet Stars", in outboard designs.(I don't know if they ever did have Jets in them or not ) I'm looking to get one too. E-mail me if you come across one in the London east to Toronto and north to Muskoka areas of Ontario. :cool:

8. RockLaker

Hello America187,

I've never heard of "Jet Stars", but I'll be sure to look them up, thanks.

My plan with the two that I have is to use the red one (I have a 35 Merc on it now) while I restore the yellow one. Once the yellow one's finished, chances are I'll get rid of the red one. Don't get excited yet, it won't be this year, but maybe next, and I'll be sure to let you know when I do want to sell it. I'm located near Sudbury.

I guess I may as well mention anyway, that that '63 Evinrude 28 in the pictures I would like to get rid of. It has electric start, shifts and idles nice, but doesn't want to run full throttle - it just bogs and backfires. Fuel problem? I tried it once then took it off and never looked at it. Controls included. Going cheap.

Chris

9. America187

America187 Junior Member

10' Peterborough

Great, keep me posted as I'm still looking. I'm also looking for a good (blue) '71-'74Checkmate Playmate too. I found an older one but the hull was too rough, too much work needed. I'm moving to Muskoka, so you're not too far away. Let me know how the restoration is comming along,(post pics for us all) and good luck.
    S
    :cool:

10. RockLaker

Howdy howdy,

Well, I think I've changed my mind now. As much as I'd love to restore this boat, the truth is I simply have no time. I'm also a flat-broke student so I could really use some truck-repair money instead of another boat in my parents yard. Plus, the boat's better off with someone who'll use it than someone who hopes to fix it.

So, you're welcome to make me an offer on preferably the boat & 28 Evinrude, but I'll split them if you'd like. The red one with the 35 Merc (& an extra 35 Merc, running on 1 cylinder) & trailer I would consider letting go on a good offer.

The yellow boat has an excellent hull, but the interior needs to be redone. The red boat has an excellent interior, the hull isn't bad, but it's not great.

Let me know if you're interested, my email is biteme20 at hotmail.com or ckarppi at flemingc.on.ca. I'm about 1/2 hour south of Sudbury, 10-15 minutes north of French River.

Regards,

Chris

11. America187

America187 Junior Member

Boat

I'll e-mail you at above addresses.
    S

12. Speed King

Speed King New Member

Need A Windsheild!!!!

RockLaker,
    I live in Barrie Ontario and i have a Peterborough, i was wondering, if you still have the yellow one, if you would consider selling the windsheild and the steering wheel? If so, can you email me back at k_zardo7@hotmail.com. Thank you very much!!

Sincerely,
    Speed King

13. ADKBoater

ADKBoater New Member

Peterborough, ALCAN, Jet Star

HPIM0930.JPG

HPIM0940.JPG RockLaker I am very interested in purchasing a boat from you. I too have one of these and would like to restore them for some lake fun. My particular boat by the way has stickers saying ALCAN, PETERBOROUGH, and Jet Star on it. I have had almost no luck finding any history on these little 10' boats. If you are still interested in selling please e-mail me and let me know at ADKHiker46@hotmail.com. I have attached a few pictures if they do not turn out correctly I am sorry.

14. RockLaker

ADKBoater, I just sent you an email. I guess the stickers on your boat finally confirm that they are ALCAN/Peterborough boats. Thanks!, just like you said there's pretty well no info on these anywhere.

I just happened to find a 1975 model on AutoTrader.ca with a 28 Evinrude for $2350 in great shape. But.. of course now it's gone. Do a search on there for all boats 1 to 12' and you'll find some pretty neat ones.

Still have the boat, waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Chris

15. ADKBoater

ADKBoater New Member

Thanks for the info, I will get back to you soon my son has a baseball game about an hour away today so I'll probably get back to you tonight sometime.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.