Boat Names

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Surfszup, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

I will consider myself an extremely lucky guy!

2. graemery

graemery New Member

Aposiopesis -a rhetorical device wherein a sentence is deliberately broken off and left unfinished, the ending to be supplied by the imagination, giving an impression of unwillingness or inability to continue. "Get out, or else—!"

Mawarikomi - japanese, a rough translation of the english "Reach Around," per freetranslation.com

Meat Curtains - please refer to urbandictionary.com

Shakagnaw

Strozzapreti - a type of pasta noodle, roughly translated as "priest strangler"

Nimuway - a variation of Nimue. In Arthurian legend, one of the names of the Lady of the Lake.

Roger Stomp - per urbandictionary.com, When you take a solid crap in the shower and have to stomp it down the drain to get rid of the evidence.

Blue Waffle - http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f149/blue-waffle-infection-really-gross-42939/ (NSFW) The comments are awesome.

Tryskadekaphobe - a variation of spelling for a person who fears the number 13.

Ravenesse - pronounced like "ravenous"

Poikilotherm - An organism, such as a fish or reptile, having a body temperature that varies with the temperature of its surroundings; an ectotherm..

Teabaguette - a delicate tea bagging.

The Cunning Linquist - one of a matching pair of boats; could have a large #6 or #9 on it.

Fell Later - the other of the matching pair; would have a #6 or #9, whatever The Cunning Linguist doesn't have.

Shartattack - a very violent, wet fart

Pinksock - a prolapsed colon

3. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

Now Graemery has the right idea!!!!

We must be related :)

Add more when you get them!

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

When I lived in Key Largo I wanted to name our runabout Largo Keyster but my girlfriend wouldn't let me. It ended up as Spun Key.

Yes- do consider what it will sounds like over VHF. Our Tern can sound a lot like Our Turd.

Then there is this sort of problem-

"Sailing vessel in center of Middle Ground Channel, this is the sportfish approaching you-"

" This is Our Tern, Our Tern-"

"Oh - Sorry, I didn't mean to trample your transmission but I need to speak at the boat in front of me."

Perhaps we should start a thread on what not to call a boat- Bridget Anders, Sea Toe, etc.

I carry a chunk of board around for whipping out whimsical names in response to folks that drop anchor near me. When I shifted to Beauford From the Keys I had three years growth of goose barnacles on 600' of anchor line which was festooned along my lifelines while I cleaned it. Needless to say I looked a mess. It was then that a boat named Vagabundo dropped anchor off my beam looking like the cover of Wooden Boat. I ducked below and wrote Bag-O-Bondo on my board and slung it over the side.

I liked Nograsstomow

5. graemery

graemery New Member

The next time I'm on the river, I'm sure I'll see some good names. In the meantime, I used google images and found some clever names.

Master Baiter
    Playbuoy
    Aboat Time
    Titan Uranus
    Damifino
    Cirrhosis of the River
    Passing Wind
    Devocean
    Marlin Monroe
    Taco the Town
    Seas the Day
    Room 4 Improvement
    Campbell's Sloop
    Eggs-ta-Sea
    Seaductress
    Slippery When Wet

None of these or the other names I posted have a really nostalgic ring to them like Bishop's Centennial Republic or Rushton's Sairy Gamp but I suppose if the boat is associated with something historically spectacular it will earn a place in boating lore.

6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

"Callipygian" - having well-formed buttocks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. graemery

graemery New Member

Nice!

I hope there would be an accompanying lines drawing of the boat showing said buttocks. Or maybe the lines would just be painted on the boat.

8. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

I had so hoped to have a "Last Mango" but it seems two others at least have that name registered; one in VA and the other in FL.

9. birch

birch Junior Member

How about the SUCK OR SWIM or for a jet SQIRT AND RUN

10. rhtmarine

rhtmarine Junior Member

I like the boat name from the movie "The great outdoors" suck my wake. that was a classic. remember when Candy's character was skiing and he said "You *******" his wife says, "I think he wants to go faster"

11. graemery

graemery New Member

Trimethylaminuria - fish odor (or malodor) syndrome.

12. graemery

graemery New Member

I was lurking around in and old Boat Names thread started by mackid068 and found I rehashed some of the material. One of the names I saw that hasn't made it into this one yet is O.S.I.L.A (Oh ****, I'm Lost Again).

I finally noticed, too, that the original request was for sightings of boat names whereas I've been mostly providing colorful potential names. Sorry for not following instructions.

13. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

I guess the "wanderer" from Captain Ron just isn't as exciting a name:)

Was it the Erasmus from "Shogun"?

14. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

Not a problem since I said I was in phase of thinking of boat names and asked if anyone had some good ones.

Boy have there been some good ones!