Nesting boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ed wilkinson, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Ed wilkinson

Ed wilkinson Junior Member

Hi all,
    Built a 12ft skiff this last summer, with some help on the design from all of you. I am now getting ready for the next build, funny how that works!
    Now the question, nesting boats (those you can take apart in sections) are an interesting concept to me, as the 12ft skiff on the roof of my fiat panda needs 2 people to lift on and off. Most nesting plans I have seen are not longer than around 10ft and consist of 2 or 3 sections. Is there a good reason for this? Could a 15ft version be possible? 18ft? 21ft? The hull design I am thinking of is canoe shaped at the bow, and wider and flat bottomed near the transom.
    Thanks in advance, Ed

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

50 years ago when I started building kayaks we had 20' sectioned models for remote fly-in locations, or even packing.

It used an overlap fit with nuts and bolts to hold it together, tape was used to make the seam watertight.

It was very simple.

fallguy likes this.
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I built 30' nesting canoes in the UK with Ian Bowles. He is still making them. They dismount into two 15' pieces. It takes about 10 minutes to put back together.
    https://expeditioncanoes.co.uk/

fallguy and bajansailor like this.
  4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

5. Ed wilkinson

Thank you all for your replies. I have drawn up some plans (2 x 5 foot sections and 2x 4 foot sections). I have very limited boat design knowledge so any advice would be greatly appreciated (it's meant for 2 people and a 4hp outboard)

Attached Files:

6. bajansailor

Ed, could you perhaps explain what your attached pdf is about please?
    The first page appears to be panel expansions showing the true shapes fo the panels in the boat (?)
    And the second page seems to be be three section views.
    And there is nothing on the third page.
    And no side elevation or plan view drawings.
    What programme did you use for drawing this plan?

7. Ed wilkinson

First page is the flat panels as they would be cut, and the second page is a cross section of the hull at each point where the boat would "split". I drew something in fusion360 that I liked the look of the shape of, and got the flat cut outs from there. Have tried to add some screenshots below to give a slightly clearer picture

Attached Files:

8. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I'll add.

The 14' model had three sections, but we could make them in as many sections as needed by the customer though.

You could incorporate the joints into any style kayak rather easily.

9. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd like to make a faux long-boat out of two aluminum runabouts joined at the transoms.

https://marathonboat.com/wp-content/uploads/MBG-006-Duranautic-Catalog-R13-BRETT.pdf
    I've seem this type of boat but without any reduction in beam going aft. I guess there would be a wedge to fill in the neg slope at the transoms. This wouldn't be TOO nesting due to fixed seats, but a new DIY build out of stitch and glue could be, maybe with removable benches that would become structural when snapped in to place. Bonus is you'd have ability to transform into two small runabouts.

Maybe blunt noses so when used as a single long boat there would be a normal flat outboard mount transom.

10. bajansailor

rangebowdrie likes this.

11. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I think it's an arrow head shaped, or a wedge, shaped boat (or boat half?).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.