40' Owens Aruba

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Whanton, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Whanton

Whanton New Member

I'm replacing the 3/8 plywood inside layer against the frames in the aft section of the hull . I removed the planks 20 on each side of the keel and the old plywood (delaminated) I also replaced some frames, 5 on one side and 3 on the other. I cut and fit the new marine plywood and screwed on temporary for winter (to keep animals out). My question is between the old ply. and planks they had what looked like caulk soaked canvas. I don't intend to do this but I need some kind of bedding where the screws go thru between the plywood and planks. I will use the old planks as most are still good. I am wondering if window glazing compound works ? That is what the stuff that came out looks like. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

2. Doug Finlay

Doug Finlay Guest

Bill,

I know classic wood yachts pretty well, You say your boat is a 40' Owens Aruba. If its a 40 footer it should be a Tahitan model, not an Aruba. The Aruba model was 42 feet, the largest of the Owens fleet and a beamer and more recent design than the Tahitian. Anyway, Owens installed a layer of canvas between inner and outer planking to cut down on water seeping into the hull, especially right after launching. From the factory, Ownes Arubas did not have an inner planking of plywood, but mahogany planking, just like on the outside, run at angles. If your boat has inner plywood, I would think that a bottom replacement was done after the boat was built as double diagonal planking was expensive to do. Also, it was generally accepted that the inner canvas liner later contributed to wood rot as the canvas degraded. This is why many Arubas (and Tahitans), had botton replacements after they were only 10-15 years old. Incidently, the decks were teak, though quite thin, and installed with staples If you have any questions, plase write.

Doug

3. Whanton

Whanton New Member

Owens Aruba

Doug - This is a 1970 Owens Aruba 42 feet. I wasn't thinking when I wrote the thread . It has mahogany interskin plywood 3/8'' on the bottom and 1/4" on the sides. I have an orginal description an it says double planked mahogany - "(an inter layer of 3/8" planking is screwed on sides and bottom then coated with a thiokol adhesive.The bottom then fitted with canvas and thiokol applied to canvas liner before 1/2" planking is laid diagonally to the inner layer and screwed to the frames)".
    On repairs to the sides I have replaced the mahogany plywood and rolled West system on both sides on the bottom. I figured out the bottom frames probably rotted from high moisture as the rot was only in the area aft of the engines in sections were almost no air circulates. I 'm going to install blowers so air will circulate if I can find some. This thiokol crap that was dried out looked like old window caulk. I need to come up with something between where the screws go through the bottom planks into the new 3/8" marine plywood to the frames. This new ply is much better quality than what I took off. I you have any ideas I would appreicate them.

4. Dennis H

Dennis H New Member

Hi Doug.new here..I had a 42 Owens Aruba..69...double planked mahogany..only issues I had with rot were on the port n starboard upper quarters..right around air vents...my Aruba had a cockpit..enter in stern down through stateroom or up to bridge...haven’t seen another like it since...427 flagships..I wish I could find her or the same design...I truly loved that boat..had to sell back in late 90’s due to health issues...boat was tight as a drum. Hull was pristine..everyone thought it fiberglass...even my marina..they wouldn’t take any Woodys...if you or anyone comes across an Aruba with a cockpit,,please contact me..thanks for your time guys..

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

When I replaced my 37 foot EggHarbor transom, I did not put plywood back in there.
    I just planked it up with 4/4 mahogany after I reframed the opening.
    That plywood just invites rotting.

I am not even sure what the point of plywood was for, stiffening??
    I have no stiffening problems. I also doubled up the supports, and near the Samson posts quadrupled them up. ( The vertical inner supports I used PT 2x4's) I also glued plank to plank and plank to uprights with construction adhesive PL premium polyurethane. And lots of screws, all bronze below the water, and SS square drive 3" long above the water.

6. ned L

ned L Junior Member

Sdowney, ......... for both Eggs & Pacemakers, the plywood was the last "building frame" that was basically just left in & then the mahogany transom was nailed on top of the plywood. That is why all the transoms rotted out in a short time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.