Boat kit

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by slsmallcraft, Aug 5, 2019.

1. slsmallcraft

slsmallcraft New Member

I recently retired and purchased a 4x8 CNC Router. I want to make a small dinghy kit that is easy to build and relatively inexpensive. On the first boat I'm using marine ply but went with Hydrotek (Meranti) as opposed to Okoume as it's a bit less expensive. The designer is calling out hoop or Oregon pine for the softwood components (gunwales, seat supports, etc.). I understand "hoop" or "Oregon" is essentially Douglas Fir (the real stuff, not SPF). Is Cedar an "OK" alternative based on availability and price? Or is there something else...DF is probably fine I'm finding the local lumber suppliers dont really have DF. It's a small 8' pram style dinghy.
    Thanks in advance for your comments....
    Dan

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Cedar is a good alternative. It's light and rot resistant. Of course I am talking western red cedar, or white cedar. Eastern Red cedar is probably not as good but certainly can be used. Cedar has a plus. It keeps the bugs away.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.