boat jerks

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by FrankWH, Aug 20, 2008.

1. FrankWH

FrankWH New Member

I just got a bass tracker 120 inboard jet and when running through a little rough water it sounds like the motor cuts out or is sucking air. Is this normal?

2. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Your post is a little confusing, how rough is the water, is the hull leaving the water? Normally if a jet is sucking air the motor will rev higher because there is no load on it; can you clarify a bit?

3. FrankWH

FrankWH New Member

It doesn't have to be very rough water and I am only runnig about 25mph according to the speedometer.

4. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

It sounds like you may have a loose wire or something
    that is killing the ignition??

Like said before, if the unit sucks air it will rev up!

5. redtech

redtech Senior Member

? is this a 120 merc sport jet (that's what i'm assuming)
    so are you saying engine is cutting out or stumbling
    bhofm sound to be on the right track
    my question is it the whole engine or just like a miss on one cylinder
    if the whole engine is cuttin out it's most likely a loose wire or a wire that has been rubbed through and that wire is most likely black/white
    if just one cylinder cutting out test the ingintion components (charge coil, ingnition coil, timer base,and wires)

6. WBC

WBC Junior Member

I'm not solving any problems but I would like to know how shallow your boat runs before your picking up sand, or bottom. I have thought abut putting one in a flats boat but i don't want to suck up weeds in say 18"-12" of water.

7. redtech

redtech Senior Member

most of the jets i work on in the northern half of california are good for 3-4 inches of water with the boat on plain over rock and sand but with weeds i would say better 6-8 inches to keep the clean
    now the great debate is what style pump to use a hamilton or kodaik is a good pump that can lift a heavier boat better with out having to have a ton of horsepower and you don't have to throttle as much at low speed to manuver but a berkley or american turbine makes for a faster boat and takes white a little better but you loose your low speed control so when off plain you have to throttle a lot when docking
    having said this i'm going to back off and hope no "ford vrs dodge" arguement comes up there both good pumps but they have there places

8. WBC

WBC Junior Member

thanks so much for your input

9. Akgramps

Akgramps Junior Member

If its only reving up when in rough water, you are most likely sucking in air and cavatating, not uncommon if its a fairly flat bottom.
    Is there a problem on smooth water?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.