The ocean

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ron17571, Nov 18, 2006.

1. ron17571

ron17571 Junior Member

Would like to hear about what you thought of being on big water,preconcieved notions?waves and wind n such.things you discovered.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Nice (no people) kinda scary; hard work but restful (nope I don't race)! Bumpy at times, but more rollercoaster than jumping about, once out of soundings! Tiring (you only sleep in short bursts - no matter what size of vessel) Will that do you?

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

as you can tell by the previuse prison escapee.. you can become a slave to the sea,,once its in your blood ,you must always find a way back to her ,no matter how harsh she has been to you ,,you still love her ,,,,,,my heart hurts for her now ,,,you only remember the good times ,,longliner

4. safewalrus

You got it Longliner as the poet Masefield said 'I must go down to the sea again......' (if only to walk the dog along the beach!)

5. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Sunset and evening star,
    And one clear call for me!
    And may there be no groaning at the bar,
    When I put out to sea.

(with apologies to ALT)

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Ron

In small boats Ocean Passagemaking can be miserable the destinations are delightful. Like Women and childbirth we forget the discomfort and remember the rewards.

Hence Shakespeare's sailors lament. (Since Crag Cay started the poetry)

"Give me an acre of barren heath..................anything " (just get me off this darned boat).

Start with gentle coastal sailing, learn to love that and get it in your soul, then the passages can be forgiven , the well heeled use delivery crews for all their oceran crossings, many uncomfortable boats seldom make it past the first leg . The Pacific is fairly demanding, the Carribbean is a gentle place in comparison.
    Coastal sailing you want racing boat performance, living aboard and on passages you will desire a comfortable and steady boat.

You never regret going to sea when looking back on your experiences. You will regret going to sea at times when you are out there. Always make sure your partner understands this before you embark on any maritime adventure.

Good luck

7. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I might add ,,the ocean is the soup of life,,not just barran water . if you have the eyes for it ,,,,and it takes some skill, you will see the tripletail the dolphin ,the dolphin fish ,the whaleshark ,and the list is endless, ron you are tortering me ,,,lots of love longliner

8. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Time runs slower.

Things are simpler.

You control the boat and the world, because the world is your boat.:p How could it be simpler? Complete peace of mind.;)

Even when the weather is not your friend, and things are not easy, when you overcome the odds and make it through, what a sense of acomplishment!:)

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Apprehension, nausea, constipation, fear, wet, damp, hunger, squalor, exhuastion, disoriented,---relief.

10. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Even when suffering severe punishment in a gale or storm at sea, and feeling miserable, there is always a reward: The intimate satisfaction of being able to challenge the forces of nature, making the most of your seamanship and your boat. But you need to have a well conceived, built, equipped and maintained boat to take care of you under your feet, not a toy for marinas show up or to satisfy whisful thinkings.
    It's you, your boat and the sea. What else can be asked for? :)

Cheers.

11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Jesus.... Jack you should stay away from the ocean:p

12. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Or find yourself a better skipper. At least I used to feed my crew. But then I guess that still leaves apprehension, nausea, constipation, fear, wet, damp, squalor, exhuastion, disoriented and final relief.

Not much of an advert for sailing is it? Don't let Wilma Ham see this.

13. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

You can never concieve of the enormity of the ocean until you have lain for two days becalmed in a low glassy swell. No horizon...just the blue of the ocean relecting the blue of the sky with no change. Toss an empty can over the side and watch it take minutes to sink out of sight. Dive over the side and swim down as far as you can then turn and look up at the small,small hull suspended above(?) you in nothing. Watch for hours as the wind line fills in, first just a hint of color in a line visible only from the spreaders, then a dark patch of blue-grey that seeps along the surface towards you. And later that night in high winds and torrential blowing rains the lighting picking out the scene of wave tops higher than you being shattered into foam or white cliffs and valleys that draw the bow over the presicipce into them like an iron filing magnet. The bone tired off watch sleeping on the cockpit sole in the sloshing green water and rain to be ready in an instant if needed on deck. Then dawn breaking up over the stemhead, the boat and sea rolling on like galloping horses, the spume and spray and whitecaps dancing on and over the lee rail while the rigging humms it's low dirge.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

15. safewalrus

Jack yeah it's all that and other things too! but ALL your comments are negative! Either your a miserable bugger who is only happy when he's miserable! or you have no soul! With your present attitude why bother? take up motor sport (it's just as bloody useless but at least you get to sleep comfortable at night) - and leave the seaways to those who, apparantly, actually like going to sea!:p