Windscreen deflector

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gtflash, Sep 24, 2017.

1. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

IMG_7438.JPG IMG_8692.PNG Going to template for a windscreen/deflector. Unfortunately a big flat screen will ruin the aesthetics but the wind speed really makes the face skin wobble so I need to find a compromise. A local sign maker has offered to form some plexi and flame polish it. Although this boat won't race anymore I was going to try and adhere to UIM rules, which specify it must be atleast 45degree angle to the driver. I've attached a picture of my console with the windshield flange are . And another the same with a small windshield. In my opinion the small windshield is not functional, so I intended to have the same wrapped shape but with an upstand on the top where the curves become straight.

Question is one of aerodynamics I suppose. should the upstand be angled, straight or reverse raked to deflect the most wind? Would a small 2" upstand deflect much wind if at right angle?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Interestingly enough, the angled mini windscreen pictured actually does work well. The air flow goes over the crew's heads underway. Motorcycle fairing windshields are often the same way, stopping well short of the rider's face, but the wind flows over them. Aerodynamically, these suck, as a huge (depending on height above surrounding surfaces) low pressure area just behind them, which has to be pulled along with the boat. If you want an optimum angle, you'll need to do some wind tunnel tests or flow modeling.

3. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

I wish I had a wind tunnel. :). Thanks for feedback par

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.