best practice mooring design

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guest1578132542, Jul 16, 2010.

1. anybody have experience with monel? or titanium wire rope? for mooring

hi all

i have to build a mooring.

this page
    http://www.practical-sailor.com/sample/Mooring_Rig_Testing.html

says normal galvanised chain lasts 2 to 3 years before it has to be replaced.

F that.

so i intend using something from these guys,

http://www.alloywire.com/

even pure nickle wire has to be far superior to chain

there are 50 alloys on that page, surely there is one that is the best.

so;
    who can tell me what i should use for 40 years of maintenance free life out of the mooring.

[​IMG]

opinions please.

onya!
    mal.

Attached Files:

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The biggest question is weather you will be taking the mooring with you , or having it pro maintained.

I have used 60lb Danforth , (3) in a triangle with heavy chain and a single riser.

These can be yanked by the boat owner (use the tide , not your back) after a couple of years when the mooring is no longer needed.

The parts cost more than a thousands of pounds concrete , but do have a higher resale value, and can be owner maintained.

Wire rope or cable is seldom used as a chain replacement as it has no catanary , so no stretch for gust loading.

The chain on the bottom seldom rusts quickly , its the line from the bottom that rusts , 30? ft , no big deal to toss every so often.

After 5000+ years its not easy to re invent .

FF

3. at present i'm thinking those guys nickle wire rope,
    or
    80 mm polypropylene, nylon etc

4. chain is either forbidden on seagrass areas, or about to be. they are replacing chain moorings because they kill up to 1000m2 of sea grass in an area around the chain, and so, when there are a lot of mooorings, it all adds up (sea varmints eat the stuff)

and i won't be moving the mooring, ever.

more likely, going cruising for year or two, using it for 6months and repeat till dead.

stretch for wind loading is performed by the buoys being pushed into the water. the top yellow bouy has 250 Kg displacement to be forced down.

m

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Dung B,
    "Best practice" is to have an experienced Mooring contractor lift & inspect & maintain your mooring on an annual basis or as their local experience dictates.
    All the best from Jeff.PS: steel chain & rope are cheap & reliable.
    Q:who can tell me what i should use for 40 years of maintenance free life out of the mooring.-- A:Get a trailer boat & park it in your driveway.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

7. all sorted

have decided amsteel cable has the life time, polyester sheathed uhmwpe, so this connected to a stainless whip and float will do the 40 year job.

(nickle wire rope, and all the other exotic alloy ropes, while good, are not as cheap as amsteel)(the design has no chain, and is therefor legal, now, and in the future)

thanks all,
    m

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.