Epoxy Multi-coat?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by kbowen, Sep 10, 2011.

1. kbowen

kbowen Junior Member

I am doing a test hull section for a boat that can't be covered with one sheet of f-glass. The fibers of the edge of the 'glass at the overlap are not laying down, so I won't be able to lay the second coat of glass on while the first is in the tacky stage without getting a bump. If I let this happen and then sand it, it seems that I will have weakness in both layers of glass at the seam, because I will have sanded through the second layer. What to do?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Wait until the first layer of 'glass has just lost it's tack, then apply the second layer over it, overlapping as required. When this has also lost it's tack or is just barely tacky, take a straight edge or batten to the overlap area and razor through both layers of fabric. Remove the excess and if the edges have lifted (not uncommon), then peel it back slightly and apply more epoxy, under the now perfectly matched seam.