Of liners and bulkheads

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CSX, Jul 18, 2010.

1. CSX

CSX Junior Member

Hi, I have a Tanzer 26 that has a liner.I have spent the last few months reading about the right way to build boats and it has become apparent to me that a liner is not the way to do it.

So, I am looking at replacing the main "bulkhead" and was wondering if I should just remove it from the liner and build the new one so it is attached directly to the hull and not floating with the liner. I was also considering adding some reinforcement in the form of rings bulkheads to prevent flexing but I am not sure weather it relay needs it or not.

The liner is tabbed in a few places to the hull but mostly it seems to be floating just attached at the hull to deck joint.

Any recommendations on strengthening or reinforcing this hull?

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The Tanzers had no structural problems. Unless something is broken or rotted you are better off leaving it alone. I made a lot of the interiors for those boats in the 80's

3. CSX

CSX Junior Member

Some of the tabbing has broken through.
    Part of the main bulkhead has had a leak through the chain plate and has some rot, the main bulkhead tabbing is coming loose.
    So the bulkhead is coming out for sure.

Is it common with liners to not have them tabbed into the hull in as many places as possible?

Attached Files:

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

The way this thing is done is a POS and will not survive severe conditions. If just used inside of a bay, that's another story. I don't know where to go from here but wait for some professional advice.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The liner is there for cosmetic purposes only. The bulkheads are tabbed to the hull and deck. Leaks will make bulkheads rot. It is not a construction or design problem, but lack of maintenance. The only way to fix it, is to cut the rot away and replace it. They are boat designed for mild conditions. If you are looking for a long distance, ocean cruiser, it would be better to buy a different boat.

6. CSX

CSX Junior Member

Never meant to knock the design, these are great boats.
    I'm not looking to buy a new boat, the work for me is half the fun. and it will be undergoing other modifications as well.
    So
    Is there any disadvantage to building the bulkhead into the hull instead of it being in the liner?

Would removal of parts of the liner significantly affect the strength of the hull?

7. T26_sailboat

T26_sailboat New Member

Addition of tabbing

Hi CSX.

I am also adding rigidity to my T26 when I have the opportunity. To date I did performed the following:

Add tabbing where it was tabbed on one side only ( under salon berth etc ).

Extend tabbing where none were installed due to poor access ( under icebox, under quarter berth etc )

Add tabbing in all four corners under floor, connecting the hull, ply reinforcement and liner.

These mods are probably useless, but since they required minimal material ( but sometime quite difficult work ) I tough that a good investment is a boat that I like a lot.

My bulkhead is in very good shape, thanks to a leak free chainplate. For me this is not an issue.

Please post the result if you end up tabbing the bulkhead.
    Regards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.