Boat hull FEM analysis

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by VeelaidVahur, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeelaidVahur

VeelaidVahur Junior Member

HI! Can anybody help me. I have to do my university homework. Topic: "Selection of input parameters for boat hull FEM analysis" Any sugestion where to start? Tanks!

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You're going to have to supply a bit more information than that to get any meaningful replies, if any.

What type of boat what type of analysis etc etc?

3. VeelaidVahur

Thanks!
    Boat type - high speed craft.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to be more specific For example, length, beam, weight, projected speed, operating conditions, etc.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think it is not understood well VeelaidVahur´s question: "Selection of input parameters for boat hull FEM analysis".
    "length, beam, weight, projected speed, operating conditions, etc." are part of the necessary inputs, I guess. But those who know FEN analyzes could tell him what else he needs as input. The other, we better shut up.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I'm sorry, but your succinct one line reply suggest this homework is beyond you.
    I was expecting much more of a detailed reply, but sadly not...which answers that Q!

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

VeelaidVahur, as has been pointed out your question is terribly vague, but if I were to take a stab in the dark at the type of things your homework might want in the answers it receives, I'd guess along the lines of mesh density, convergence method, shape function complexity, element type, degrees of freedom, etc.

If you have access to a decent FEA text book I'm sure it will basically write the answer to your homework for you.

8. VeelaidVahur

I'm agree with you all - question is terribly vague but the question is rised by teacher and I can not do anything with it. What I have is: "selection of input parameters for FEM analysis of high speed craft". That's it. I really can't tell you length, beam, weight, projected speed, operating conditions, etc since I don't heve them.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that the question is "What parameters need to be considered?" For example, target speed needs to be considered because it will determine dynamic load on the bottom. Another parameter could be operating conditions. Depending on the sea state, the slamming loads are going to vary.

10. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

VeelaidVahur - suggest asking your professor to clarify your assignment. Without knowing the context of your coursework or your professor's expectations, the question is very vague and doesn't make for a meaningful discussion because there is not enough context or background. Your professor can probably clarify the direction he is looking for you to take, quickly, whereas members of the forum can only guess with the information you have provided.

This thread is being closed at this point; you are welcome to post a new thread with a more specific and focused question, but please try to understand the assignment first and post a more detailed post with enough background on what the task is and equally importantly, what you have done on your own so far, so that others can help you.

< Reported and subsequent posts have been removed which appeared to be more jabs than good discussion; if you continually find someone's posts not to be useful or interesting, please click on their username and click "add to ignore list". Let's try and keep the public forums polite to everyone and about the question or topic at hand rather than getting personal with other members. Thank you. >

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.