Fiberglass vs Sprayfoam

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TunnelVision1, Nov 27, 2018.

1. TunnelVision1

TunnelVision1 New Member

I have had some work done on my tunnel. My bow was originally a shovel bow, and now it has been converted into a pickle fork. The shop did a good job, but my painter says he needs to glass the inside of the bow and says he can't fit to reach to the area in the bow to glass. If I was able to install the bow hook, could I spray a foot or more in the bow to secure the bow the that? I've used it before as a type of glue and it worked well. Pleased advise. Jason

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm not at all clear as to your idea here, but as a general rule spray foam and fibreglass don't serve the same purpose.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

I think he is referring to a raceboat. Why does your painter need to glass the inside of the structure to paint?

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

My interpretation is that the shop didn't do a complete job. Because interior painting should have been included! I wonder in the painter is trying to fair a poor alignment.

Spray foam is not appropriate.

I suggest getting first shop to finish their job.

Good luck

5. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Or worse, insufficient layup or core and now he want to try and buck it up from the inside with glass or foam....

Probably needs to bust it all off and start over. Preferably at a different shop that isn't going to do a half-assed job.

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

While 2 part foam sticks to just about everything, it will only reliably glue two things together that you don't want stuck together. And it has no where near enough strength to secure the stress from a bow eye.

SamSam likes this.

7. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

We are on the same page. I just didn't want to be too alarming.

I'll bet the modifications were roughly shaped in with rigid foam and only thinly glassed on the outside. The painter is looking at raw foam.

Your painter is a good person for attempting to correct another's mistake. But it is the original shop's responsibility.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.