Bottom paint and primer?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by skyl4rk, Dec 30, 2020.

1. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Junior Member

I am working on a trailerable boat that I plan to use in the Gulf of Mexico. It may be anchored in the water for days or weeks at a time. My usual sailing area is fresh water.

The boat is plywood with epoxy and 6oz glass cloth sheathing.

How should I prime and bottom paint this boat?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If the bottom is epoxy, you don't really need to prime. There are several antifouling paints for trailer boats. They are harder so as not to rub off on the trailer beds. I have been very satisfied with these products https:
    //www.seahawkpaints.com/

fallguy likes this.
  3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Epoxy exposed to sunlight should be painted anyway.

fallguy likes this.
  4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I’d prime it with barrier coat, it will protect the laminate from water intrusion, and protect from UV.
    Use a color that contrasts with your bottom paint to make it easy to assess the condition of the bottom paint.
    It might not be absolutely necessary, but I have an aversion to putting any finish coat over raw materials without priming.

5. oliver305

oliver305 New Member

You can use Sea Hawk bottom paint, what is great about it is that it can adhere to almost any surface, including the ones previously painted with ablative paints. I had no problems using just a brush to apply this product. Completely waterproof and highly resistant to saltwater.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.