Boat Hardware

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Rebel01, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Rebel01

Rebel01 Junior Member

I was doing some looking around the web and researching costs for boat hardware. I am looking at two potential projects and I think I have narrowed it down to one. It's an 18' 6" bowrider with outboard engine..or the lack there of, as it comes without an engine so I have to resource one.

Has anyone on the forum used the stuff from Made in China? I'm not a fan, but to simply get a few items shipped from iBoats is over $100 in shipping costs alone to Greece, so I was looking for other avenues.

I am currently sourcing in Greece as well, but a few reliable suppliers have failed in the crisis and gone out of business, so I am scratching my head a bit as to where to find hardware.

I could use a couple of add-ons for my Montauk 17 and my project boat.
    Link: http://www.made-in-china.com/produc...order=0&isOpenCorrection=1&word=boat hardware

2. Rebel01

Rebel01 Junior Member

Just wanting to know if anyone has tried them, and if they are quality...

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Made in China.com is a just a web hub where members can place their products in an on line catalog. I have no experience with this particular outfit, but as a rule I avoid these like the plaque anyway. Simply put, if you want something cheap, built with crappy materials, is of dubious quality and you have absolutely no recourse, if there's a problem with anything, then go for it.

4. Rebel01

Rebel01 Junior Member

I'm aware of the site as you see it very often when doing Google searches. I haven't purchased anything from it. I was kind of hoping that someone else had already been the 'guinea pig' on this one and would have some feedback.

I'll continue the search locally. I did find a website after posting this, but they have limited availability and selection.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its time to rethink about Made in China !!

Hi ! I have lived ,worked and traveled in china the last 3 years !! most recently visited the Shanghai 2013 boat show and the 2 previous ones as well !! THIS YEARS WAS THE BEST YET !!! Each year there has been vast improvements in the boats and the quality of stuff on display !! I came away with 2 heavy bags of brochures that i am still wading through and the most noticeable thing is the amount of companies making and selling boat hard ware !! you name it it was there !! all sizes and all bright and shiney , all stainless steel !!!
    I have been working making glass boats all time i been here and the quality of workmanship can be and is equal or even better than boat places i have worked anywhere else !!
    The old Made in China thing everyone sees is because the people that have been buying and importing and selling to you are the ones to point the finger at !! they are the ones that have been setting the crappy standards we just all take for granted !! .
    What you get is not what the chinese use themselves !! and in this fast moving and internet based buying online age you need to shop around !!
    Boating is not a Chinese pass time and so boatiing bits and bobs are all new to them !! but with more and more boats coming into this country they are seeing what is exspected and making things the same and in most cases better than whats arriving as imports !! Dont be fooled by the past standards of what used to be ! you have been dictated to by YOUR importers !! they are the one buying and peddling the **** you are lead to believe is GOOD MADE IN CHINA goods when its not that at all !!
    So shop around !! there was possibly 6 differant chinese outboard companies on display at this years show plus manufactures producing motor parts and propellers for the popular bands like Yamaha and the like !!
    The company i worked for we used to get odd items made and the local machine shops are really modern and up to the moment places and brand new cnc equiped and machining and welding the best i ever seen anywhere i have been !!:D

Try these sites
    www.bla.com.au
    www.bla.nz
    www.xinghuicasting.com
    email; info@changhuicasting.com
    www.yd-metal.com

myself and another guy are setting up a manufacturing place to produce powerboats so i was looking for information for products we will use once we start !!

6. Rebel01

Rebel01 Junior Member

tunnels,

Solid input, as always. This is the exact reason I wanted to ask. Being from the US originally, we see so much imported that is made in China...some good, so bad, some terrible.

I am particularly interested in flush mount cleats and some other goodies. For me these cleats would be for buoys, etc., which wouldn't stress the part very much anyway. As long as they are stainless and have a good mounting setup, I would be pleased.

I'll do some more research and then make up my mind....

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

made in china !! could take on a whole new meanng in the future !!!

Like i said i have 2 big bags of catalogs and boaing books !!Going to take me days to get through all the stuff i go !! There as miles of suff at the show and it ws the best ive seen in a long time The new zealand boat shows are all aout fishing gear and small fishing boats and all the shiney new boats that were that same as the year before mostly !!

I also try hard to get the the composites show as well at the same venue and thats really worth going to !! the first show i went was cool the second really good and the last one was wow !! this years will be even better for sure i bet!!

Its quite funny but run China down as much as you like but most of the glass thats out there comes from here !!
    I found a glass broker the last 25 mtr boat the company made and he was really helpful and full of advice and we got a better glass, wider than usual so cut down on overlaps and was combination fabric with a 275 gram csm on the back !!,The wetout with our saturater gun was so fast and the guys couldnt believe what they were seeing and getting through the work in record time !, it cut out countless hours during the construction process !! Again i will say what you see and get told is not whats available here ! your importers need to wake up there ideas and get real, then made in china will take on a whole new meaning of that i am very sure !! Why use local made second rate materials when theres possibly cheaper and better stuff availible if you by pass that fat cat middle man that keeps feeds everyone with bull crap !!

8. Rebel01

Rebel01 Junior Member

tunnels,

Waiting on your input. Let us know what info you have found and what we can look forward to. :)

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

check the www sites on the bottom of that post i gave !!
    I less than an hour will be in a plane and out of here on my way to nz for couple of weeks !!:D