Boat Dimensions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by James Huber, Aug 1, 2002.

1. James Huber

James Huber New Member

Hi! Thank you to everyone who helped me figure out how to unroll developable surfaces. I've got a new problem now. The idea of my boat is to seat two people side by side. My CAD model is 10ft long, 1.5 ft deep in the middle of the transom, and is 4 ft wide at the top of the transom (is that called 'beam'?). The v-angle is 5 degrees at the transom (transom deadrise?). I'm starting to wonder if 4t is wide enough. I'd like to be able to hop into this thing without to much difficulty, and I don't want my 'ship' capsizing out in the middle of the lake. I also would only be taking it out in calm weather. Should I make this beast 5ft wide? Or should I leave it at 4 ft? Any advise from someone who has good experience, would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Beam alone is not a measure of stability. A hull with a lot of flare can have a narrow waterline beam and good stability. Also, what is the deadrise at the bow, does it have any ballast, inboard or outboard power? All these variables determine the beam.

3. badges65

badges65 Junior Member

If you are looking for a stable boat the best i have ever had experience with is the IVB.
    Our 3.5m hull you can step on the gunwale and off the boat and have even had someone sitting on the gunwale whilst stepping on and off using the gunwale !!!
    don

4. anil mishra

anil mishra New Member

Rrespected sir,
    i m a final year student of engineering in raj. india. sir in the submition of my project i know the basic concept but i donot know the right way so pl'z tell me.

PRO: to design a boat by using aluminium foil, which can sustained maximum weight. in the designing of the boat pl'z consider the sea-worthiness, shape . the size of the foil is 25cm.*25cm..

so pl'z give me the best solution with specific dimens.
    thanking you,
    u'r sincerely
    anil mishraion

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

If you're just looking to maximize displacement relative to surface area my intuition says you want it to be a bowl in the shape of a hemisphere. You'll need to calculate the radius that will give you a surface area of 625cm^2 and then investigate how to cut and join the foil in order to deploy it all.

Of course this completely ignores the structural requirements. If you reduce the radius some, though, you might be able to form ridges where you join the strips of aluminum foil that would act as stiffeners, helping the hemisphere hold its shape.

It also ignores stability, seaworthiness, drag & controllability. I doubt there's any one theoretical right answer when addressing all of those issues simultaneously.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.