Boat desing courses (Uni)

Discussion in 'Education' started by monrosm@shrewsb, Jul 2, 2007.

1. monrosm@shrewsb

monrosm@shrewsb Junior Member

Hey, i am looking to study some sort of boat design course at university in the UK. I have the aim of coming out with a design degree, perhaps a naval architect degree, not too sure right now. Now, where do i go? Does ANYONE have any clue on where and which universities offer good courses that are in the UK.....any help on this is appreciated....
    Thankyou
    Stef

2. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

For yacht design - Southampton Institute (now called Southampton Solent Uni?)
    For Naval Architecture - Southampton Uni (not the same uni as above), Newcastle Uni, Strathclyde Uni and UCL (UCL doesn't have a Naval Architecture dept, but does do NA as part of Mechanical Eng. It is heavily biased towards naval (warship) ships). There are a handful of other courses, but these are the most respected by employers, so give you the best chance of getting a job. All the courses mentioned above are accredited with the Engineering Council, without which becoming a Chartered NA is almost impossible.
    Best of luck! The final choice needs to be yours, because you have to live and study there for the four years.

3. richdrummond

richdrummond Junior Member

U need to make the decision on weather you want to do design or Naval Architecture as they are two totally different courses. I don't know much about naval architecture however if you need any info on the design side just give me an email as im currently on the Mdes boat design course at Coventry uni! its a good course and i thoroughly enjoy it! any questions feel free to ask!

4. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

I would also suggest that you look at Plymouth Uni where they have a wide range of marine courses, including Marine Sports Technology - MST - which looks more at the smaller and leisure end of boats.

My son has a friend at Glasgow doing Naval Architechure, but he would have preferred to go to Southampton, but his gardes were not good enough.

There is also Falmouth Marine School, which is now, I think, part of the Combined University for Cornwall - CUC - which has a very good reputation for small boat design and manufacturing techniques.

I went - many years ago - to UCL London, where as has been said above, the course was very much based on RN warships. This is not surprising as most of the students were Royal Navy sponsored employees! I also found the course very academic, rather than useful.
    We now make fast RIBs in Devon - see www.explorermarine.co.uk - and so find working with Plymouth Uni. a better option where we need a real answer. We are currently studying the high speed dynamic instabilities in planing hulls.

Good luck

5. schnaarf

schnaarf Junior Member

I'm at Southampton Solent Uni doing Yacht Production and Surveying, its good and most of the lecturers are out of industry so they seem to know they're stuff!

They also do a course similar to Yacht Production and Surveying called Yacht and Power Craft Design which involved a lot more maths and less practical laboratories.

(p.s. i think it is quite easy to get into Solent!)

6. monrosm@shrewsb

monrosm@shrewsb Junior Member

Richdrummond

Richdrummond
    I have actually decided to go to Coventry university now as I thought it best suited what I wanted to do! What year of the course are you in? Alos how does the course leave you for employment at the end of it?
    Have you got a contack email address?
    Thankyou
    Stef

7. richdrummond

richdrummond Junior Member

O good good the more the merry!!
    Im in the second year, well the course has been running for 25years so there are Coventry graduates placed right through out the industry. At the end of it you be fully trained in all types of vessels, fast rips, sail boats, speed boats, cruisers of all sizes, multi-hulls, and superyachts (which is the they want u to get in preferably) they have a lot of contact with major company's out in industry(placement opportunity). as well as the look of your boat and the engineering they focus a lot on ergonomics which is a major factor!

if you email me on drummy316@gmail.com with what you want ill be happy to help!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.