Boat Designers

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SC1, Mar 11, 2005.

1. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Surface drives

All existing steerable surface drives that could handle 1700HP+ will be too big and heavy for the lightweight construction of this boat.

Trimax drives that be produced by ZF have the least friction and also a trimable version is also available. :idea:

There is no doubt that this system is the best for hi-speed and there is no accidential occurrence that this system is the most winning in all offshore racing classes.

2. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

I have read in the web site of turbinemarine that they are the only to use wet exhaust system instead the dry one. Perhaps the wet system is only a gadget ? :?:

With a waterjet unit there are no manoeuvrability problems at low speeds.

The Trimax is trimmable but out of water, you can choose btw. 2/3 fixed position.

The reliability of this propulsion system is that you don't have hydraulic pistons. It is very light and hardy, well designed indeed but for low/intermediate speeds it would be much better an Arneson drive.(only my opinion) but it depends what is the target of this boat... only speed or something else.

Buzzi has won all the possible for many reasons :
    the qualities of the man, the weight of the boat, the Seatek engines...and the propulsion system....
    I have installed both Trimax and Arneson in my designs, and if the target is not only the speed I prefer the Arneson even with more weight.

With ASD hull the increasing in weight in the after part is well supported by the additional static water volume and dynamic wetted surface. :D

Rolla prop's ?

RANCHI Otto :p

3. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Idea is to make a outstanding powerboat with very high performance. :cool:

Wet exhaust are for cooling tubes in engine room & noice reduction.

I do not think its just for protecting small seabirds being roasted. :D

Trimax trimable from cockpit:

www.zf-marine.com/ZFR/Surface_Drives/index.cfm?PID=ABC

4. RANCHI OTTO

The sketch in the web is the old model perhaps... the permissible trim angle must be very reduced... :cool:

Wet exhaust to reduce noise, why ? noise of turbine is very nice and I am astonished that they are the only one proposing this system. :eek:

5. SUMMER

SUMMER New Member

ARNESON DRIVE IS AMAZING but maybe with few black stripes and a more futuristic windsheled"3d drawing"would look nicer, cause i think it looks like a corvette

6. yipster

yipster designer

Artois: "the drive train's weight will be approx 900 kgs in total including the trimax". from arneson industries i had for 1800 hp 60,000 rpm: "Gearbox should weigh around 150 kg depending upon who makes the reduction box"

7. RANCHI OTTO

(Artois)

2500 kg or less.... for hull + deck + superstructure + reinforcements...
    It seams to be a little bit optimistic. :?: (I think for aluminum)
    This design, if I've right understood, isn't a racing boat but a x-fast pleasure craft, this means that you can accept deformations even small in your own race boat if you are winner but if you are private client you require a perfect hull surface hull even at 100 knots...after have paid an expensive check :(

RANCHI Otto

8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

It has never said that the material for the hull would be aluminium. The drivetrain as I call it is gearbox, propellorshaft, propellor, rudder etc. The 900 kgs counts for the two shafts, rudders and gearboxes - the engines are about 250 kgs each.

There will be no deformations of the hull surafaces whatsoever at even speeds far above 100 knots.

In fact, with the two 1750 Hp Lycomings, Miss Sweden could top 125 knots provided that the weight can kept in certain limits. The exhausts are watercooled and come straight aft at a horizontal line. The only question will be what volume the tankage would require. And that is for the future client to say.
    Fuel consumption is approx 750 p/hr per engine at full rpm.

9. RANCHI OTTO

I'm sorry but it isn't very clear for me the various parts in this project... :?: .
    SC is the shipyard ? : :D
    I'm a nuisance ... : :mad:
    You... how are you involved in this project ? :confused:

10. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Well, to answer your question, it's another story. The owner of the Miss Sweden Project is Kurt Strand. It is his idea and his design, however the technical issue, gasturbines and a special metal hull is actually descending from my part.

I am involved in some new projects and therefore I had to concentrate on other things - leaving this business unfinished.
    Our company does represent a manufacturer of Navy - type of gasturbines, among all, and the gasturbine-topic does therefore interest me.

Being very limited in practical use, the gasturbine finds its way mostly in Navy or related Governmental vessels. And of course in the ultimate top performers.

I think you should compare Miss Sweden to a Bugatti Veyron or a McLaren F1, or the Pagani Zonda. For me, I would pick the Bugatti Veyron which is now in its latest state of pre-production.

Yipster came with the idea of the retractable canopy so some people were working on this idea without having a fixed marketing subject in hand.

That's all.

11. RANCHI OTTO

Thank you very much for your explanations, now the situation is clear... ;)

12. yipster

yipster designer

T700 GE jet at e-bay for $250,000.00 not a bargain when i read elsewhere: "If you want a good engine I can sell you an entire Harrier Jump Jet c/w 21180 lb Rolls-Royce Pegasus Mk.105 (minus avionics & canopy) for $60,000." and here E 15,000 isotov's

13. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

14. yipster

yipster designer

double bpm, seatek or lambo's wont leave space for the canopy to drop back

did you see this retro beauty blared posted in his gallery?
    [​IMG]

15. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Ok, there be no space for the combitop
    but when you start the missy monster you do not want
    anything that hide you from the amazing sounds from
    these engines :idea:

Cool boat , here is it finished :D

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.