better body plan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CapKos, May 5, 2007.

1. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I am designing my dreamboat. This should be a cruising boat, sailing mainly on coastal cruising, and European internal waters. Occasionally sailing across the Atlantic. Shoal draft is essential, as well as strong a secure construction. The boat should be able to take the weather as it is. Speed and upwind performers are less important. I drew 2 body plans, which differ mainly by the angle of the second shine. I would like to know Your opinion of which is better :confused: .
    All the best,
    CapKos

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

From appeearance only, drawing B will provide the least draft and probably have more initial stability. Section A will need a bit more draft than B and will likely have a more lively rolling motion than B.

I question the wisdom of tapering the top sides in toward the centerline. What is your rationale for doing that?

Post some more sections that are nearer the ends. We can not tell much about the boat without information about the bow and stern.

3. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

i agree with messabout, plan b will give you more stability, but not by much.

It really depends on whether you spend more time getting somewhere, or being somewhere....

Daytrippers should opt for plan a.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i would like you to contact Windvang on this site, he is an excellent designer
    You are right a yacht needs
    1 to be able to claw her way off a lee shore under sail
    2 she need to be stiff, watertight, strong
    3 She needs to be cheap to construct
    4 She needs the minimum of systems, like really simple
    5 She needs a sociable cockpit and shade over it
    6 She needs great sails and powerful winches

5. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

Hi,
    Thank you for the replays. Stability curves are very similar indeed. I checked this with Freeship. Design B have a little bit more stability at 30 degree, but not significant. My question is because I never see so aggressive angle on the second shine on other designs. I suppose that this could result to more unpredictable and less study boat. Did you have some examples for designs like A?

This boat will be used extensively both for living and voyaging, so study and easy motion is important. She should be not a dayboat. I have a dayboat, which I am very happy with, but found using much for long cruising.

Messabout, tapering the topsides is because I like that I guess. I like such appearance, which is similar to Dutch Hoogaars. Also I think to use leeboards, and such tapering could help having the right angle. One rational supposition could be to take less exposure to the wind and sea.

Lazeyjack, thank you for the contact. I’m really looking for somebody from this part of the world for help.

All the best,
    CapKos

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.