Keel & Rudder

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by MONJI, Mar 12, 2006.

1. MONJI

MONJI Junior Member

HI,

I'm a marine student, recently, learning the construction.

I've got to find out the construction, location and how they attached to
    the vessel.

It would be wonderful,
    If you have any awesome web-site about them and let me know.

?.What are the major considerations when attaching a keel to a vessel.
    ?.Because keels can be manufactured from many mediums, list a manufacturing process that suits your keel type?
    ?.What steps wil you take when construnting a rudder that ensures it will be built to the plan requirments?
    ?.What are the key points when aligning a rudder into its given location?
    ?.What steps are you to take to ensure that the bearing system chosen is installed corretly?

These are the questions I've got.

THANK YOU!

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

go to a boatyard ;talk to those doing the work most of your top notch designers have done this,,,,,,,,,nothing is easy nothing is free.

3. MONJI

MONJI Junior Member

I don't want everything answered. Im just looking for some help : (
    ( is that an excuse? : ( )
    Anyway, I will definitely go and talk to the experts.

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Ya I undestand. but the best way to get info is from the horses mouth, not trying to be hard on you or funny, but hearsay is not the best way to learn, you will be a much better engineer by going to the yards and seeing first hand ,whats happening, it would really do you some good to get a summer job at a boat yard , you will be surprised at what you will learn,,you will meet some who are masters at what they do. also will give you a prospective , that sometimes theory and paper are not all that ,good luck,,,,longliner

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Go to www.proboat.com and look for the two articles that David Vacanti and I wrote on keel and rudder design, engineering and construction last year. These entire issues are posted on line in their original form. David and I did a presentation in 2004 at IBEX on keel and rudder design, engineering and construction, and the magazine asked us to turn it into these two articles. Kevin Milne of Mars Metal, makers of keels, was also a speaker, and he contributed a sidebar to my article.

Dave Vacanti's article is:
    "Keel and Rudder Design", Professional Boatbuilder #95, June/July 2005, page 76.

My (Eric W. Sponberg) article which is part two, is:
    "Keel and Rudder Engineering and Construction", Professional Boatbuilder #96, August/September 2005, page 72.

These should tell you about 80% of everything you need to know.

Eric

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Both of the articles mentioned by Mr. Sponberg above are excellent. Accolades should be heaped at their feet in appreciation. You should also get a subscription to the magazine - it is an invaluable resource. www.proboat.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.