Need advice

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bulut, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

hi all, im trying to design a new boat all by myself. i m starting from zero, new hull, new deck etc. i dont want to use old, well known designs like to create all elements by my self. i m already building a remote control boat which works quiet good but needs improvement. does ant one know where should i start my research? i would be happy if you help me. thank you.

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

The information you seek will depend somewhat on what you want to do with the boat. How will it be powered? How big? What sea conditions will it need to withstand? How will you fund it? What skills do you have? etc, etc

Starting with model boats is a good place to develop ideas. Have you got a picture of what you have built to date? How do you want to improve it? Is this the basis of a full scale boat?

Rick W.

3. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

im willing to build a power boat, but not a big scale one, not yet :) i m looking forward to join a workshop or some kind of a course but i couldnt find any yet. i want to do something new so started from remote control boats. if you could give me your e-mail adress i can mail some pictures to you. it has 60 cm lenght and like 25 cm width. it is fuel powered as is sad and it passed my bath tub tests : ) but i have no idea if it will swim in open water with waves. is there a any computer program that i test my designs? any way my dream is to build boats in full scale and i want to make out standing designs. By the way im a graphic design student.

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Bulut,

You should be able to post your pictures right in the forum along with your text.

Hit reply button, scroll down to "manage attachments" and then use the browse button.

By putting the images on the forum you can get the opinions of many members.

Take care.

Tim

5. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Freeship seems to be very popular - 'cause it's free! :p Get it here

6. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

i checked the freeship but i couldnt find mac version :) any way where should i look for hull desing principles?

7. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

here is some pictures of what i did :) i started with cardboard then i used acyrilic paste, now im covering it with epoxy+glass fiber. After this i will remove cardboard etc. i have ordered outboard engine for this(just becouse i tought it more powerfull:confused:) but i saw that it wont work with this model so i ordered a inboard engine :) i would be very happy if you give me advice about it, like do this or do that :)

Attached Files:

8. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

this is the first engine i ordered :) can you tell me what kind of boat should i build for this kind of engine?

Attached Files:

9. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

It seems like you are trying to make a high speed power boat. I suspect the current model will be prone to rolling at speed as it is flat bottomed and hard chined at the stern. You need a "V" shape in the stern to get some lift on a turn.

You should also investigate some software like DelftShip for drawing up your model. There is a free version that will do what you want. It allows you to easily develop the shape from flat material.

The model outboard you have simply requires a vertical transom for engine mounting. I think it will be quite easy to make a boat abot 0.8m long and say 0.3m wide that would suit this engine. I would make the model out of balsa and then place two layers of 200g/sq.m glass on the outside and one layer on the inside. It will need some internal bracing for the the motor mount.

So, get a copy of Delftship. Learn how to use it. Draw up a deep "V" planing hull with vertical transom (could post images here to get critique). Develop the hull into flat sections. Cut balsa to suit. Glue balsa up and fair the surfaces. Cover inside and outside with glass/epoxy. Add transom bracing for the engine - could be piecs of aluminium glassed in place on the inside.

Rick W.

10. Trevlyns

Hi Bulut

From your original question - I deduce you’re an amateur (like me) looking for a place to start… please ignore anything further if my deductions are wrong! ;)

My research shows that new designs spring from older ones. You have to have a model on which to base your design. I really don’t think it’s possible to produce something new and radical without referring to existing designs.

If you’re really as ‘new’ as you say, I’d recommend you start on the basics by getting a good grounding in the basics like Dave Gerrs ‘The Nature of Boats’ or ‘Principles of yacht design’ by Lars Larsson and Rolf Eliasson (You’ll get them both on Amazon).

You have the right attitude, but a better boat has to better than something else… what makes it better, what features are unique…?

We are all still learning,,, go boldly down that path, light fires, contribute!

Go get ’em tiger!

1 person likes this.
  11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

g,day Bu,
    send me your email I will post that software I promised

12. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

thank you very much to all of you people, your comments gave me light to my dark questions : ) ill do as you sad but one last question: is there workshop or a course for amateurs? it doesnt matter which country it is, i want to go and see (and learn) what people do in field. and i want to work as a yatch designer in future (after my school is finished). where should i start to learn basics of being pro?

13. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

and here is my e-mail: b_buyurgan@yahoo.com : you can e-mail me any time and i would be very glad if i could take look at your work

14. Bulut

Bulut Junior Member

is there a site that guide me trough my design process? im building a flat bottomed boat but i combined it with a sharp "V" style. any one can tell what to do next as a modification?

15. Trevlyns

Try this site

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.