Boat design software

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sgcc113, Dec 13, 2008.

1. sgcc113

sgcc113 New Member

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this site. Hopefully you can help me out. I'm A expert carpenter and a novice boat builder, I have been designing boats for years using my trusty drafting table. I'd like to start designing using software. Since I'm new to this I don't no what program I should get. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank You.

2. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

sgcc113,
    This is not my subject at all, but as you've got no answers I'll give you what advice I have.

There's another forum on this site for design software with threads that seem to adress your question. Check those threads.

Generally I would say it is the same with marine design software as with any other CAD engineering software. The software will help you with drawing the design onto a computer, help you with calculations and simulations, help you produce production drawings, nice presentations etc. You still have to supply the brain and the experience yourself to make a good design.

A software named "freeship" (use the search function for it) is available for free and is said to be a good starter.

Good luck,
    Erik

3. mikereed100

mikereed100 Junior Member

I've been using Rhinocerus 3.0. I found it intuitive and fairly easy to learn. They offer a free version online that is fully functional, but you are limited to 20 saves. If you know a student you can pick up the full version with excellent manual for $185.

Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.