Job Interview Tips/Questions

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by tsurmeli, Aug 26, 2007.

1. tsurmeli

tsurmeli New Member

I am a fresh graduate and I will have my first job interview with a very big firm that builds sailing yachts. Since it will be my first interview can anyone who has such experience tell me about the procedure and what kind of questions (any formulas) I may face? :rolleyes:

Thanks

2. avantguardia

avantguardia Junior Member

3. JEM

JEM Senior Member

The face-to-face interview is more about seeing you as a person and a professional than it is to review your technical credentials.

They want to see someone who is good worker, personable, professional, willing to learn, and will do what it takes to get the job done right.

Don't pretend to be something you're not. Just try to remain upbeat, respectful, positive, eager to learn the company/business.

1 person likes this.
  4. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

I know nothing about the Boating industry, but I have hired a number of people, and have had a few jobs myself.

Avantguardia is correct, honesty is number one, they'll see straight through anything else. Your a fresh grad, they are not expecting you to know everything (yet).

Be confident, but not arrogant.

There will be no trick questions, and they're not trying to trip you up. and if they are you really don't want to work there, trust me.

As Jem says, they want to assess your personality to see if they get on with you, they've already assessed your qualifications from your resume/academic record.

5. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

find out as much as u can about them ,then see what u have that they want, remember a interview is a sales pitch you only have a short amount of time to sale your self, with in the first few minutes they will have made thier mind if the will hire you or not, chances are they are sailors and have a passion for boats, learn to banter and shot the **** but say professional

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Job interview

All of the above - and put yourself in the frame of mind where YOU have called THEM for an interview.....Good luck.

7. avantguardia

avantguardia Junior Member

8. tsurmeli

tsurmeli New Member

thank you for all your guidance. fingers cross

9. MarineRecruiter

MarineRecruiter New Member

Here are some tips I use with candidates I am working with for positions. Good luck on the interview! :)

Eleven Interviewing Tips That Can Make A Difference
    Much like getting married, buying your first home, or moving to a new city, interviewing for a new job can be stressful. In fact, it is ranked among the most stressful of activities! You want to do your best and you're not exactly sure what's going to be asked of you in the interview. The following information is intended to help you enhance your interviewing skills. Please pay careful attention to the material listed; by doing so you will portray yourself in the best possible light when you are interviewing with the hiring authority.
    1) PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE INTERVIEW
    Anticipate what may be asked of you. For example, what are your greatest strengths as an employee? What are your greatest developmental needs (weaknesses)? Are goals an important part of your life? What accomplishments are you most proud of? What has been the most difficult thing you ever had to tackle on the job? What obstacles have you overcome in your career? Why should I hire you as opposed to another candidate? Some companies use an interviewing technique known as "Behavioral Interviewing" where they will ask you to give specific details about accomplishments shown on your resume. Be prepared to specifically address anything you include on your resume. There also are books available that can help you prepare for a job interview. Depending on your skills in this area, consider buying such a book or using a library copy. If it's been a while between interviews, consider a "practice" interview with a friend. You can prepare the questions and they can give you a critique on your performance.
    2) DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR THE INTERVIEW
    Very simply, look professional! Business suits, white shirts, polished shoes, neatly trimmed hair and a good looking tie are a must for men. Women should consider a business suit or dress that would be typically worn in a business setting. Nice shoes, panty hose and neatly coifed hair are also important. In both instances, avoid too much jewelry or overly flashy jewelry...it's a turnoff.
    3) ARRIVE BEFORE THE INTERVIEW, AVOID BEING LATE
    This is a must. Make sure you know how to get to the interview site on time and have the phone number of the individual you'll be interviewing with. Sometimes, circumstances will prevent your timely arrival. In these instances, you need to contact me at the number listed above and/or contact the interviewer with a reasonable explanation of your delay and when you expect to arrive.
    4) HANDSHAKES, EYE CONTACT AND POSTURE
    These are key components of the interview. You are being evaluated on more than your answers to questions. A good handshake is an important start in the interview. Eye contact is critical during the interview....it demonstrates confidence. Likewise, good posture sends a positive message. Avoid fidgeting or to much movement in the chair, doing so sends a negative message.
    5) ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE
    What type of person do you prefer to spend time with ……someone who is upbeat and enthusiastic or someone with a laid back or low key personality? Confidence and enthusiasm go hand-in-hand in an interview. You can win over an interviewer by displaying these traits. An interviewer will project your personality into a job; what they "see" will be measured against the ideal traits required to be successful in the position. Most importantly, be genuine. Don't overdo the enthusiasm but don't think it's not important.
    6) LISTEN CAREFULLY AND GIVE COMPLETE ANSWERS
    Poor listening skills can sabotage an interview and many people fall victim to this peril. Let the interviewer ask a question without interrupting them. Make sure you answer their question.... many fail to do so. If you're uncertain about the question, it's okay to ask that it be repeated or rephrased. Don't try to bluff if you don't know how to answer a question.....a good interviewer will see right through any attempt to do so. Just say you don't know the answer but can probably find out. Your answers should be complete but not rambling. Make your point to the best of your ability and move on.
    7) AVOID THE NEGATIVITY TRAP
    You may be questioned about a job or supervisor that you disliked. This question may arise from the interviewer's review of your employment application and the reasons you gave for leaving a prior job. Be careful how you state your reasons for leaving on the application and be especially careful if asked to answer such a question in an interview. If you speak negatively about a prior boss or company, this will often raise a red flag for the interviewer. A better approach is to mention the problems you may have encountered in a matter-of-fact approach and give an example of how you overcame the obstacle or problem.
    8) BRING ALONG ANY MATERIAL THAT WILL SUPPORT YOUR EFFORTS
    Oftentimes, you may be able to enhance your interview by providing the interviewer with materials that confirm or support your career achievements. Excellent performance reviews, letters of commendation or recognition, ranking among peers (sales), etc., can all be used to your advantage. Have copies available that can be left behind with the interviewer. Look for an appropriate moment in the interview to present such items.
    9) DON'T DISCUSS MONEY DURING THE INTERVIEW
    In many cases, this won't come up. If asked, tell the interviewer that you'll consider any offer that's fair and reasonable.
    10) ASK FOR THE JOB
    This is a powerful technique that you can sometimes use to your advantage. If you're convinced you want the job and have done well in the interview, it may be to your advantage to make sure the interviewer knows you're interested. You can do this by saying, "I'm really interested in this job, when do I start?" Or, "I know I can excel in an organization like this, when can I get started?" There are many other ways to accomplish this; be prepared to ask for the job in your own way if your at the final stage of the interview process.
    11) FOLLOW UP WITH THANK YOU LETTERS
    Every recruiter can tell you stories about candidates that fell by the wayside because they failed to FOLLOW UP on the interview. Sending a professionally done letter of thanks, stating the reasons you're qualified for the position and asking for the job (again), is a great way to demonstrate your professionalism and commitment. This is one of the easiest parts of the interview process and one of the most critical. Ask for the business card of everyone you interview with and make sure they receive a letter that is to-the-point and grammatically correct and free of typos. For some employers, failure to send a thank you / follow-up letter can doom your chances regardless of how the interview went.
    A successful interview is no guarantee you'll get the job, but it certainly doesn't hurt your chances. Preparation and adherence to some of these tips will enhance your chances of getting to the next step in the interview process or actually getting the job. You can differentiate yourself from the pack by using these tips to your advantage.

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

There's great advice here. I'll add only that an important part of showing a positive attitude is expressed by asking questions that show you are eager to work, such as what the responsibilities of the position are, who you would report to in the company structure, when you might be able to take on more responsibility if you do well, etc. The point is to stand out from the crowd by showing your interest in what you can do for them. Learn as much as you can about the company beforehand, and work that into your discussion. By all means, hold off any questions about pay, benefits, promotions, etc. until the very end, and ask just as things you want to be sure you understand before you leave. That alone will help you stand out from the crowd. There may come a time when you've accomplished enough that companies will pursue you; for now, you're selling yourself.

That being said, follow JEM's advice: relax and be yourself.

Good luck!

11. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Just tell ‘em you follow the Boatdesign.net forum. That’ll clinch it! :p
    You be sure and report back, now

12. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

Lot of good advice there.
    Here in Australia, and back in England, we always discussed pay, but usually at a second interview - thre is nearly always 2 interviews, sometimes 3. Maybe it's a cultrual thing and just not done in the states?

Most interviews end with a "Do you have any questions?" type questions. I'm usually more impressed with people who do (depending on the question) it shows they're thinking in advance about a specific aspect of the job, or that they have paid attention during the interview and want more information on some thing that was said.
    If you really don't have any questions it's good to respond to that with an "I did have a few questions, but we have covered them all during the intervew, thank you"

BTW. When's the interview? Let us know how it goes (either way)

13. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

I failed an interview because I didn't have questions. At the time I figured that I was qualified for the job and wanted the session to end so they could make me an offer. Didn't work out that way. Have questions.

About the tie thing, it may not be appropriate at a boat company. My first day at a boat company I wore a tie and was told by my boss to never wear a tie to work again. He explained that if I wore a tie then they might expect him to wear one. Business casual may be more appropriate. Ironed khakies and a button down shirt may be a better choice. The only people who walk into a boat company wearing a suit are lawyers. Enough said.

Good luck.

djs

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I've worked where it seems the ones above were pretty damn stupid and the only thing they had going for them was paper, either a diploma or possibly cash. Either way, they were incompetent, but they had the job and they made the money. Anybody have any advice on outright lies, phony diplomas etc?

15. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

...or customers :p

I was told the same thing, working for a big city IT company!

Do a drive-by, and see what they are wearing. You can get away with being overdressed at an interview, and it's not inappropriate to as about dress code during an interview - if you can't work it out from what your interviewer is wearing.
    I asked about dress code at one interview, only to realise as I asked it that my interviewer wasn't even wearing shoes!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.