Boat design/construct in Alaska

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by joshman, Aug 9, 2006.

1. joshman

joshman New Member

Ok I plan on building a boat. I work in a sheetmetal shop in Fairbanks Alaska and have recently had the drive to build a small racing/play boat from aluminum. Ive never built a boat before but I have just a little bit of experience around boats. Heres what im thinking on:
    seat 3-4 people, 16'-20' long, outboard prop 50-75 hp or whatever we get our hands on, very slightly rounded flat bottom boat in rear, with a taper to a slight vee or maybe two vees of a catamaran in the front. Here in Fairbanks we wont see any saltwater waves or any chop over 6" really. I do want it to handle well in tight turns since we have a lot of small winding rivers here. We plan on putting the outboard on a hydraulic or electric lift.

What im looking for now is some boat hull designs or profiles that would work for this that have already been built and know they work ok. I of course will wind up tweaking things quite a bit, but I would like to start with a somewhat proven hull design without reinventing the wheel from the start. I cant find much for technical designs or profiles aside from pictures online. Anyone have any ideas or resources i could check?

Im also entertaining the idea of "Retractable hydro foils". It sounds like a fun project but we have to get a working boat first. I havent found much info on hydro foils aside from very indepth designs and calculations that are beyond me (I did pass calc 3 and fluid dynamics in college).

Anyway if anyone has some ideas on where to start that would be great.

PS: check out the yukon 800 in Alaska, 80 mph with a 50 hp outboard http://www.yukon800.com/

2. kurt21

kurt21 Junior Member

3. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

4. im412

im412 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.