Tubby Tug- and some variations of it.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by newinertia, Dec 24, 2008.

1. newinertia

newinertia Previous Member

The Tubby Tug-

Well everyone knows and loves it- I want more weather protection, here is what I came up with.... dont hate me because Im beautiful!:D
    The lower right model has a chopped top and an inside headroom of 38", just enough to not bump my head when sitting on a four inch mattress.
    The top right image was stretched into the foredeck, but you dont have much headroom but it looks like a low rider.
    I am thinking I would stay with an outboard, already have an 8 hp short shaft.

Well, I would like to know what some of you micro cruiser fans think about this.

Attached Files:

2. woodchuck

woodchuck Junior Member

The Tubby Tug is meant to be a cute and toy-like play around in the harbor boat. If you want a sleep aboard or better weather protection go to an easier design like a Chugger which is easier and cheaper to build and already has various expansions shown. Don't ugly up a cute toy

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My initial thoughts suggest, you don't have any place to operate the boat from, in any of the extended cabin versions. I don't think you realize how small this boat is. It has barely enough room for a couple of crew and don't even think about stretching out. I have two yacht tenders, both longer then this little hunk of boat.

It's a foolish little thing at best. There are much better little tug boats available, but all will be nearly double Tubby's length or more so.

What are you goals for such a craft? In an amusement park attraction or used as a rescue tow for a boat rental service, maybe as a cute way a harbor master can putter around his domain are some possible excuses for such a diminutive imitation.

It wouldn't be an especially efficient cruiser, nor does it provide much by way of accommodation, so what do you want from a micro? My point is, the micro cruiser is a very difficult design concept to pull off even with experienced drafting skills. Just addressing the ergonomic issues, in a small package is enough to make most run off and hide. If you goals are well defined, then you stand a good chance at finding a design most well suited to your needs. Attempting to "adjust" a current design, into one that more closely fits your desires, is asking for severe heartburn to say the least. More to the point, a very skilled designer can pen a fine micro, a novice has little chance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.