Boat Conversion

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by saabnob, Jul 29, 2006.

1. saabnob

saabnob New Member

I have a 1989 Sea Ray 200 Cuddy, I'm wondering if anyone out here has tried to convert a cuddy into a bow rider. If so how difficult, and is there structural issues to be concerned about. Family is growing and need more room

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Boats like this are often offered from the factory as a choice of BR or cuddy configuration. The fibreglass deck/liner of most boats is structural, and in a bowrider, extra reinforcement is added in key areas to make up for the lack of a full foredeck. So the conversion's more complicated than just cutting a gap in the foredeck- yes it is pretty difficult, and yes there are major structural issues. I think if you want a bowrider, you'd be better off to clean and polish the Sea Ray, sell it, and buy a bowrider of comparable size and price.

3. saabnob

saabnob New Member

Thanks Matt, I assumed that cuting a hole in the deck would not be a weekend job. I could give her a spit polish and shine in the weekend though. I can now show this to the wife to justify a new boat.

By the way, have you heard of a new boat seat by Attwood called VisionAir I've got a lot of design and development into making this seat. Its going to be the wave of the future in high end performance seating.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.