Boat businesses for sale ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Albert Jr., Aug 5, 2014.

1. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

I've heard about this a few times but have never really
    seen any of them for sale online..
    Are there any websites of which anyone knows of where I can find them for sale ?
    Thanks.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Albert,

When I Google the thread title I have a lot of hits, even for Curacao.

What are you looking for and where . . ? ?

Good Luck !

3. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

Hi thanks for the reply.
    Right now I'm just looking to know if it's actually true.
    I would be interested if the opportunity came but at a later time.
    That you found hits even for Curacao has made my interest grow.

Thanks again,
    Albert.

4. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Just an aside: my sister and brother in law have small kids, but for various reasons they also have few money worries and time for each other even though they have small kids.

So, naturally, they went and opened up a frozen yogurt place....

What this has to do with the OP is simply this: small businessmen seldom list their small business as "For sale: heartaches, headaches, no life, and an maybe an ulcer or two ...".

I wish you well.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Whats "boat business" anyway ??

Hiring, building, designing, marketing, repairing .... and all the shades between.

6. Angélique

Let's look at one of those businesses . . . .

- Day Charter Boat Curacao for Sale - Willemstad, Caribbean Islands -​

What are the opinions about above figures and the advertised business itself . . ? ?

-- link -- link --

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

All businesses advertised for sale sound great, the reality wont be found until 3 months later.

eg.
    "Support & Training : owner will help or experienced captain."

What does that mean ?

If you have to employ an experienced captain, thats going to make a big dent in the income.

I note that they quote "Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization" but not "Profit" for one or two years. "Permit for 5 crew" would make a big dent in income and who knows what the statutory costs of operation are.

Those " 2x Yanmar 8 cil. 370 HP diesel (700 hours)" wont be cheap to maintain in that area.

I would want to see the actual financial records, including bank statements

Caveat Emptor

8. Brolga

Brolga New Member

I have to retire to to health (and age), I have been building a 13.5m alloy catamaran and have it up to frame fully welded, hull/tunnel plate tacked, most alloy on site to finish, fuel tanks built, a lot of cut plate ready for topside construction. Its a Mike Waller Design built to Vic 2C survey so far.
    I can't finish it would be willing to sell as is for about $90,000
    Pleased to supply full details if anyone is interested - Factory in Bairnsdale Victoria. Equipmemt/some stock also incl fork lift.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  9. Angélique

Good points raised to consider RWatson [​IMG]

I asked myself the same thing especially since the first part of that promise seems to be in contradiction with the following sentence on the sales page...
    ‘‘ Reason for Selling : owner is leaving Curacao ’’​
    Also, why would a "good" business be out of operation while it according to the sales info can be runned by an experienced captain and crew and a home-based website . . ? ?

10. Angélique

Hi Brolga,

Welcome to the forum . . :)

This ‘‘Open Discussion’’ section of the forum is intended to discuss ‘‘All Things Boats & Boating’’.

If your post is intended to sell your project it's best posted in the Section Marketplace of the forum.

To start a sales thread there you can click on the button [​IMG] just below the left top corner of the linked page.

Good Luck !

P.S.

Think of a good thread title, this can't be changed . . :idea:

1 person likes this.
  11. Petros

Petros Senior Member

you might go find the types of boat business you are thinking of and when they not busy, take the owner out for dinner and drinks and get to know him. you will learn something about the business that will not end up in the listings, and you may end up making a deal for his business before the night is over.

Do not start out by saying you are looking for a business to buy, but say you want to learn something about this type of boating business (be careful you do not indicate you might become his compatition). You might even offer to be his slave for a month or two during the busy season to help him out and learn how the business operates. You work towards the discussion of offering to let him retire in a few years when you can take it over from him, and give him some retirement income in the process.

I would be willing to bet that over half of the current operators will be willing to consider a deal like that. You also might decided that it is too much work and not enough income to make it worth the effort, before you have to make a commitment to buy it. That would be far less costly than finding that out after you have handed over a bundle of cash.

12. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Two questions immediately spring to mind.

1. What is the mass of the plate - ie how many kilograms of plate have you used and have on hand, along with stringers, bar, filler etc?

2. What is the current asking price of one of these boats, floating and ready to use?

I frankly cannot see an unfinished incomplete hull of that size being worth anything even close to your asking price. I don't doubt you think it 'owes' you that much and more, but that's a 'sunk' cost not a resale value.

PDW

13. Angélique

Regarding #2, Brolga's description sounds like a Waller PC1300 13.5 m Power Cat of which I didn't find one on the market, so I looked at YachtHub [​IMG] Power Multihulls 30'> Oz + NZ and Power Multihulls 30'> international for a similar boat.

This 2005 GRP Conquest 44' 13.4 m Power Cat for Bare Boat Charter in the Whitsundays poped up, asking AU $ 425,000 *

But this doesn't say much as it's only one example which has many differences, and it's only asking price.

P.S.

Saw "another" 2005 GRP Conquest 44' 13.4 m Power Cat, also chartering in the Whitsundays, asking AU $ 399,000 *

* same boat, different broker . . . :idea:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  14. Angélique

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

So the price asked represents maybe 20% asking price of a finished boat. With maybe 90% of the work left to do given it's not a finished hull and has no equipment fitted, or fitout.

I'd buy one already floating and ready to make (lose) money. I know just how long & how much it's cost to get my 12m steel sailboat to its present stage of (non) completion.....

PDW