Marine plywood jargon !?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Vulkyn, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Well received some information regarding marine plywood (i order and S&G boat)

But there seems to be a lot of terms i dont understand, below are the points i couldnt understand:

1 x 40HQ / 55 Cubic Meter.

BS 1088 MARINE PLYWOOD
    ========================
    4ft x 8ft

4mm........(3/16") (unit price) USD.....($Price dunno total or minimum order? CBM)
    GLue: WBP,Melamine,MR,E0,E1,E2
    Size: 1220 x 2440mm
    Grade: BB/BB,BB/CC

I am also not sure if that is good plywood or not, i asked for a sample but the minimum sample they can send is 55 cubic meters ....
    So any ideas from our plywood experts ?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

BS (British Standard) 1088 is a marine grade plywood. BB/BB is both faces with minimal blemishes (paint standard). BB/CC has one face with patches. I don't thing that BB/CC complies with 1088.

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

BS 1088 MARINE PLYWOOD
    BS 1088 = British Standard 1088 (a standard to which the plywood conforms)

4ft x 8ft
    Sheet size (Widh x Length) in feet

4mm........(3/16")
    Thickness

Glue: WBP
    WBP = Weather and Boil Proof

Melamine, MR
    Melamine-formaldehyde glue with Resorcinol

E0,E1,E2 = Formaldehyde emmission class (EN 120), E0 or E1 means no emmission or low emmission and are to be preferred, since formaldehyde is cancerogene.

Size: 1220 x 2440mm
    Sheet size (Widh x Length) in millimeters

Grade: BB/BB,BB/CC
    Veneer quality, face/back surface. A is the highest, B is second choice. D is the lowest grade, but I wouldn't go below B..

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Regardless of what the label says, a personal inspection of the plywood is the true test. Edge voids and internal defects can be seen, as of course can the surfaces, which should be free of repairs and look pretty much near perfect. Internal defects, voids and repairs suggest the sheet is mis-marked (a common problem with some suppliers today) and should be rejected out of hand.

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thx for the feedback !
    Thats a problem because i am still searching and so far only 1 supplier was found (the stupidly expensive one) my next step is a trip to alex since there seems to be more suppliers there.
    Ill stick to your advice PAR do the inspection and take photos, i guess its too risky to import from an unknown source.
    If i cant find anything ill have to buy from the expensive supplier (providing i do an inspection as well)

Gonzo / daiquiri thx a lot for the explanation :D

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Try to contact Apex1 too, he might be able to give you few hints on suppliers to call.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.