Boat Building

Discussion in 'Education' started by Sinomarine, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Sinomarine

Sinomarine Sinomarine

Hi,guys, I'm very interested in building boats,unluckily major was English Interpreter when I was in College.And I'm working in boat yard as an interpreter. Anyone who can give me some advices on how to start my new career as yacht designer?

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That's original...

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Well, let me be a bit more constructive - before someone slaps me on the neck here.
    You're working in a boat yard. Have you tried to talk about it with some experienced person in your boat yard? A person who is already in that business (and is right there next to you) will certainly be able to give you some valid hints. Maybe they even need a designer and would be willing to invest in your education in that direction.

4. Sinomarine

Sinomarine Sinomarine

sure,i understood what you said, but I really want to improve myself to be more professsional on boat design, I have got some advices from people around me, and I posted here to find help from friends around the world

5. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

You'll find some useful information to begin your education in the books mentioned in this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/back-basics-26018.html
    and in "Understanding Boat Design" by Ted Brewer
    I'm not sure how good you are with understanding the English Language, but if you earned your degree as an English Interpreter, you shouldn't have much trouble understanding these books (a good background in math and physics will help you tremendously though).

Good luck,
    Rob

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would second the comment about asking people in your yard. There is wealth of information all around you. I am sure that someone there would be glad to help you.

Obviously you have online access. There are many excellent resources online, this forum is one of them. look here http://www.boatdesign.net/search/

My web site has a lot of info on the links page http://newboatbuilders.org/pages/links.html

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

In addition to Daiquiri....you say your very interested in building boats. Then say you want to be a yacht designer. Which is it you want to be, if you're not sure, how can anyone help you?

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Sinomarine,

A good way to start out is always to begin and study hull shapes. Once you understand how they act on the water and what are their pro's and con's you should get out on some of them. I have no idea what experience you have so sorry if you're an old hand. You have to have a feel for it if you are going to design something.

When you have an idea about hulls you could design a small boat and build it yourself. Once you've lived past this point you can decide if it's for you or not.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.