boat building vacation

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by seasurf, Dec 11, 2004.

1. seasurf

seasurf New Member

Hi There
    My name is Joe and I am located in Gros Morne, Newfoundland Canada. My passion in life is old motor boats powered by vintage make and break engines or put put's. I have 2 boats and several engines. I make my living by renting my tourist cottages and doing tour work in my boats. This summer I bought a building that is located right on the Ocean and am turning it into a wooden motor boat manufacturing and school. The idea is that a person takes there vacation at my cottages and we build a boat. If anyone has any opinions, thoughts, or interest contact me at any time.
    Regards
    Joe

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Holy Cow! Joe...you couldn't have picked a more beautiful spot to set up your business.
    The world has not yet discovered Gros Morne and I sort of hope they never do. The Fiordes of Norway got nothing on Gros Morne.
    That sounds like a great vacation to me, if I didn't already build boats for a living. (It would be kind of like the postman going for a walk on his day off) Hope you get some takers. The trick will be in getting yourself known in the right circles.Maybe try WoodenBoat Magazine. Or maybe better yet some of the European wooden boat enthusiast mags. They love your part of the world, in Germany especially.
    And what could be more fun than playing with a "make and break" engine?

3. seasurf

seasurf New Member

Hi Mr. Greenwood
    Thanks for the reply and this is the type of response that I have been looking for. What type of boats are u building. We will be doing 20ft 8 inches in length and total wood construction namely Fir, Spruce and Juniper no plywoods at all. I have a master boat builder as the instructor and anticipate 12 days from start to finish. have u been down my way? If so we are located in Rocky Hr. which is the park h.q. and my office is an old 42 ft long liner which I have high and dry on the land with the stern cut out and a door installed there. So again thanks for the info as it is really appreciated.
    regards
    Joe

4. Call the Canada Tourism Associations until you get some one who you feel really is trying to help you. You and only you, have to keep calling them to get a sheet in their "tourist places to visit" racks, that shows your place in the best way. Good luck. Rich

5. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Joe
    Yes I been down der but I gotta stay where I'm to for now.
    The boats I am building now are near the opposite end of the spectrum from what you are doing there. I have had a ton of good fun building the kind of boats you are talking about, but it doesn't pay my kids tuition. I like the high tech stuff and and the traditional stuff...it's just the stuff in between I find boring.

Good luck with your business.

6. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

We call them putt-putt boats in North Carolina.Get a "feely" type journalism student from the local college to write your ad.Be sure to include facts like "He is trying to save a vanishing breed of boat" in your brochure.I love these boats,I had my eye on one harboured in Belhaven recently but after the last Hurricane its vanished.Record the sound of the engine using a cheap four track recorder with mikes at different places in the hull.I'll be your first customer for one of the tapes.