Bubbles in Glassed chine

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by WilliamPrince, Nov 15, 2013.

1. WilliamPrince

WilliamPrince Junior Member

I laid 6inch glass tape down on my last chine yesterday, and it looked thouroughly wetted and successful. When I woke up this morning, there were air bubbles formed all along the chine - especially where the tape had been laid above filleting material. What can I do about this? Should I cut out the dry areas and put little patches on them? Please advise!

My build forum is here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...tamaran-sailboat-design-48581.html#post656976

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Can you get a needle in there? Maybe syringe some epoxy in?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't bother with the needle thing, just not guarantees you've got a good bond. Cut the 'glass out, around the affected areas (which should be fairly easy) and apply a patch.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You did not get a good unventilated adhesive contact with the substrate in the first place. That is an elusive deal.. Using something like peel ply is worth the trouble to get all the total contact that you intended. The deal is that you worry the glass application until you are confident that it has grabbed the ply or other surface beneath it If not peel ply, then ordianry visqueen will do quite nicely.

At this stage of the game, do what Par suggests. Grind off the bubbled areas and apply some patches. When the patches are fully cured, the grinding and blending begins.That is a PITA of course.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.