Boat blue print

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by zackboat, Jul 17, 2015.

1. zackboat

zackboat New Member

I am trying to make a "blue print" of an existing hull design. I want to recreate the lines of the hull on a program in order to build it again.
    Is there a way to do this for a novice boat builder?
    It's a 16 foot aluminum flat bottom boat.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Try to determine if any structural framework is from standard framing stock.

If you can come up with close enough you'll be able to have your dimensions direct from the manufacturer. Many web sites show cross sections for their products.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Get some cheap paneling, put it against the hull and trace the lines.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It would depend on what level of precision is desired. But it does't sound like something that 1/8 " out would matter too much, here or there.

5. zackboat

zackboat New Member

It needs to be precise because I want the bow rake to be cut on the plasma table. In order to do that I have to enter the correct "numbers" into the CAD program.
    I'm sure it's obvious that I don't exactly know what I am talking about.
    Is there a program that does this?

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

There's no program that will nurse you through the logistics and parameters for the "cut file" the CNC machine will need. Most CNC shops will be able to do this for you, if you have an accurate "DWG" file. Some can work with PDF or JPG file too.

As to the physical dimensions, you'd be best off just buying a set of plans for an alloy jon boat build. This will be a whole lot easier then learning how to pick up lines, learning how to input these into a software package and learning how to convert these files into a cut file for the CNC machine.

If you're going to the trouble of having plates cut on a CNC machine, you should consider a boat design with more capabilities, than a simple jon boat. Maybe a garvey style or better yet a true V bottom, so you can take on deeper and rougher water if the outing requires it. Simply put, a jon boat is fine in protected waters and flat water, but as soon as the wind picks up, you run into some chop or deeper, fast moving water, they'll display all the bad manners they're well known for. You don't have to live with these short comings and since you're building new, you might as well get something more serious.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

zackboat, I think your problem has an easy solution. Simply take a number of steps, very easy, similar to that indicated in the attached figure. With these measures and a photograph of the boat, it if possible to make plans and immediately dwg files with nested parts so they can be cut by numerical control.
    Your boat will not be 100% same as the original but will resemble very much.
    If anyone sees any difficulty I have not been able to discover, please, tell us and let's see if, all together, we can solve this case.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.