Price of DuraKore - in Australia ?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rwatson, Jul 19, 2008.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I am interested in the prices of DuraKore (balsa in ply core material) in general, but particularly in Australia.

If anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Try ATL composites.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I have sent an email off to them. Their web site shows distributors in all states, but only provides contact details for the queensland branch.
    They diont even list DuraKore on their product list, just balsa.
    Looks like I will have a few long distance phone calls.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

rwatson..... Yep, - they are usually very helpful - just not keen e-mailers? also lots of options & precuts for builders / designers like Scheonning, Bob Oram and dozens of others - have a look at the past 4 editions of the Qld cruisers "pdf" magazine "The Coastal Passage" and the website http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/

Good sailing......

5. michaelo

michaelo New Member

I recently purchased ATL Duracore , the price was around $62 for 16mm and $68 for 19mm for 2400 x 300 planks

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks guys - both bits of information were very, very usefull.

At a rough calculation, dureKore works out the same price as 5mm aluminium, but I would still need all the goo and fibre and painting afterwards.

Now - I wonder where I can learn aluminium welding?

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Ask Lazyjack about alu welding(posts on here) seems to have done some in his time, Ive only done a little but plenty of steel but in my recent employment have been doing some alu on our Supercat ferries although I do the cut/fab & tack up & the coded welders do the bulk, have been using a Fronius pulse mig, quite exxspensive but easy, like most welding/any work its all in the prep. Maybe theres a tech nearby to give some lessons or bigger welding suppliers will have demo machines that they'll even bring to you if your a serious contender for a new machine & ongoing supplies. Lazyj might have some more recomendations on process & equipment for you, put up a post in the metal boatbuilding section. All the best from Jeff.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks Jeff - LazyJ isnt talking to me since I contradicted his opinion on the dangers of lead.
    I have a cousin who was doing welding on the Incat ferries in tassie - what part of australia do you hang around in?

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Rwatson, in the Sydney part, dont wurry about Lazyj he'll soon forget, alu gives you alzhiemers I heard, & yeah leads dangerous especially when made into bullets. What kinda boat are you after? & regards from Jeff.

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The boat I am getting designed is virtually a slightly stretched Macgregor. I keep coming back to aluminium as the best value/longevity, although i have had a lot more experience in wood and glass over the years.

I guess the kicker is how much the skilled welding labour would cost. perhaps i can do the assembly and tacking myself or something.

It will be a while before the plans are completed, so i am doing the research now.

11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Just for the record, ATL got right back to me, and the price quoted was right on Michealos info

"The 19mm Durakore pricing is $85.63+gst per square metre"

This compares to about
    a) $42 per sq metre for 6mm ply,
    b) $60 for 19mm WRC ,
    c) $65 for Duracore
    d) $95 per sq metre for 5mm Alloy.

Options b and c require a lot more glass sheathing, while ply will need some good coatings too.

I got some advice that 4mm plates is all I need for a 28ftr, so that would bring it down somewhat.

Gee this alloy stuff is looking a lot more. Under $2000 more for alloy materials, and I know which one will have the better resale value!!

I might start looking for a good welding system - or a good welder.

12. joz

joz Senior Member

just a question can durakore come in 8'x4' sheets like in ply to which could be used for hard chine, multichine boats or is only for strip planking?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.