Miller and whitworth 32

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Ramona, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

The Miller and Whitworth 32 was designed by Ben Lexcen in the 1970's, his name at the time was Bob Miller. Several of these are for sale locally at the moment. Not the prettiest of yachts, Ben wasn't too fussed about looks. I own one of his 26 foot designed quarter tonners. Trying to find some info about these boats is difficult. I want to upgrade to this size vessel and would like some feed back on sailing performance etc. The boat will be used for coastal sailing, predominately singlehanded. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Replying for two reason, First makes me smile abt Bob, he came to Auckland, there was a steering issue with Anticipation, alloy racer sloop he was in yard of MacMullan Wing, there was dwg of rudder on loft, he just stuck out his foot, said "cut it off abt there" !! the rudder blade that was
    second reason same name as my sis

3. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

The M&W 32s never really scored big time when they were new, so you'll be struggling to find any proof that they were as fast as similar boats (East Coast 31, Currawong, S&S Defiance 30, etc). On the other hand, it seems that just about all of the halves of the time were roughly similar in pace.

The couple of M&W 32s in Victoria used to be rated on VY handicap at about the same as the East Coast/S&S 30/Currawong etc. We used to race against one in twilights and it was the only one of the 12 or so older halves that could live with our modified Defiance. Like most Millers, at its best in a breeze IIRC.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

CT249,
    Absolutely right mate, forget the 32 though, they were not especially fast, Miller had some great designs and some great failures (as you would expect when outside of the norm). Remember the pink boat!

The S& S 30, and 34 were far better boats if you want a general sailing boat that can go OK, as are the Duncanson 34 from SA and the little Clansman (though full keel of course). The Cavalier 32 is also a good little boat.

5. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

CT249,
    That's all I was after, thanks for that. I could not find any actual ratings for them though plenty still about racing.
    I have a picture of Rampage on my desktop, I had forgotten about the hull shapes of Rampage and Ginko etc, the 32 seems to be of a very similar vein.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Ramona,

I saw at RQYS in Brisbane a S&S30 with a 34 lid on it, took me ages to work out what I was looking at, but it was great, You may be able to chase it up if that is what you like. I would just go for a 34 though, they are lovely little boats. The old Swano 32, double ender, is also a very sea kind vessel.

7. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

Those SS30's with the larger coachroof are Swarbick SS30's. couple of them at Manly. I like the idea of an SS34 but they are just over my limit. Seen the odd one come up for sale in Sydney around $55,000 but sell fast and usually only fitted out as day sailors. If I had the where with all I would buy "Aquilla" from Tasmania. that's one fine looking SS34.
    The Swanson 31 has the full keel and canoe stern. The 32 has a normal stern and cutaway keel. Had a good look at one in Sydney a few months back, nice but had the old single Yanmar which put me off.
    Heaps of boats on the market and prices falling all the time, especially in Sydney. Tough times for a lot of people. I would be happy with one of the halftonners from the 70's for my retirement.

8. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

Maybe the Miller boats were a bit easier to steer when pressed on a reach or a run. Bit more directional stability and fewer rule based hull distortions than the S and S boats of the same era.

Not as good upwind as the S&Ss though.

MIK

9. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

CT249
    Hope this is not the one you raced against.

This is a section of a photo showing an MW32 about to join a few other yachts on the beach at Mornington, April 2008. Friend of mine sent a series of stunning photos taken during the storm.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.